Show Off Your American Gamefowl!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BANTAMWYANDOTTE, Dec 27, 2011.

1. sdm111

sdm111 Chicken Obsessed

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    If u know the nesting sites to put shell can't u just put boxes?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Shell goes into boxes instead of straw / hay.

3. kingcocker

kingcocker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    LA county Ca
    I have found that if they don't grow together it'll be a problem having good hens in the same space.

4. roosterhavoc

roosterhavoc Chicken Obsessed

Jan 5, 2012
    They did I separated them to single mate.

5. roosterhavoc

Jan 5, 2012
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

You can keep larger groups together (6+ individuals) of birds that can not be kept in groups of 2 to 3. To pull off I introduce them into a henhouse 20' x 20' at the same time early in the morning and as you would predict a battle royal ensues. Doing so on a Saturday for me enables frequent checking throughout the day. The individual dust ups will be prone to interference from other combatants. Seldom do you get past noon before pecking order is worked out and most of the scrapping is done within about 15 minutes of the introduction. The outcome is usually similar to what you see by mixing flocks of dominickers which even typical backyard folks do. We used to keep pullets in groups of 50 without too much damage as such were even used for some meager egg production. Pullets / hens that get down are often in poor shape anyway and should not be kept. Spurred hens might have had advantage in causing damage but we never saw logic in selecting for that phenotype as it had no apparent bearing on the male side phenotype.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  7. JShubin

JShubin Overrun With Chickens

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern California
    My Coop
    Good advise. I see this when I free range my hens.

Large flocks seem to moderate the dominant hen... because there is always a hen who is more dominant, even if she is less dominant than another. For example... Hen 'A' beats hen 'B', Hen 'B' beats hen 'C', but hen 'C' beats hen 'A'... in a loop, so that nobody is ever at the very top or very bottom of the pecking order. In my experience I would say this only starts to work when you reach about 6+ hens...

8. JShubin

JShubin Overrun With Chickens

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern California
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

9. sdm111

sdm111 Chicken Obsessed

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    hope u don't learn the hard way those won't coexist

10. roosterhavoc

Jan 5, 2012
    Sound advice for laying hens and even multiple roosters of the laying variety. I've kept as many as 15 roosters together without too much trouble.
    That will not work with these birds. Like sdm111 said.
    At the very least the hens will lose eyeballs and be lacking an awful lot of feathers. Which isn't worth it.
    I originally had my two ruble hens in a 4x8 pen. One day the Wheaton was missing half her cape. Some birds just won't get along period. Protein levels in food was fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by