Show Off Your American Gamefowl!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BANTAMWYANDOTTE, Dec 27, 2011.

1. sdm111

sdm111 Chicken Obsessed

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    [quot name="centrarchid" url="/t/613455/show-off-your-american-gamefowl/3750#post_15220771"]To add a little to the battle royal issue with immature American Games, some of it appears predictable as a consequence of the maturation process. My birds are prone to start during the transition between chicks and juveniles. This is about 5 weeks as head becomes feathered. It can be a little earlier if hen reared and they are weaned a little early. When hen stops clucking I can expect trouble as that is the time chicks setup pecking order for the first time. Problem can start earlier in brooder as those can start setting up pecking order at around three weeks and being game the pecking order challenges are all that it needed to get the action started. That may be pecking order alluded to by sdm111 but the gameness sets it apart. The next dahger time is 10 to 12 weeks when first adult feathers start coming in and the final time is when bullstag status is realized. Other events can set the scraps off but those are the peak times of worry for me.[

/quote]I'm not talking about your battle royal or pecking order. I'm saying when penned cause that's all I can do no free ranging or cords here too many predators, when one decides to go apeshot and beats and beats and beats till the back of the head is bloody then the others attack until dead cause of the blood. You automatically assume you know the answer to everything when that's not the case something that works for one dosnt have to work for another. I'm trying to convey to others monitoring this thread that your answers to everything may not work for them and you call people out and belittle them when they don't totally agree with you. You have a lot of what I'll call fluff u talk a good game but never back it up with proof as in pictures and whatnot. Just what centra says goes.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  2. JShubin

JShubin Overrun With Chickens

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern California
    My Coop
    The Cuban breeder I know used cocks to control a handful of juvenile stags in a closed pen with no hens. One of the cocks he used was blind in both eyes, and the others were older. It seemed to work for him, but he was probably very careful in selecting which cocks would be best.

It works for me in a free range setting. Doesn't mean it will work for everybody.

3. JShubin

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern California
    My Coop
    Two hens (mother and daughter) went broody at the same time and hatched eggs at the same time. They are right next to eachother and the chicks go back and forth following both moms.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. caseymacom

caseymacom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    spartanburg sc
    I got bantam hen and roo and game hen and roo and bout 20 chicks, think I will put them all in one 5 foot pen and see what happens....lol (joking) just felt like saying that

5. caseymacom

Mar 25, 2015
    spartanburg sc
    and they will all be best friends

6. caseymacom

Mar 25, 2015
    spartanburg sc
    ur chicks don't escape thru ur wire? I changed out all my wire scared mine would run away

7. JShubin

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern California
    My Coop
    yeah they escape... that's how they go back and forth between grandma and mama

8. caseymacom

Mar 25, 2015
    spartanburg sc
    OK that would make since, cute family :)

9. JShubin

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern California
    My Coop
    thanks..
    I am a little worried that the chicks might be exposed to dangers of the world, without mama to protect them outside the cage. so far they stay pretty close. I may let the hens out if I have problems with the current arrangement

10. JShubin

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern California
    My Coop
    I had to remove this rooster from the cage yesterday, he kept mounting her while she had chicks under her.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by