Show Off Your American Gamefowl!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BANTAMWYANDOTTE, Dec 27, 2011.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

I have never purchased games without seeing and handling them first. Have done so when purchasing other breeds from commercial hatcheries with the understanding they are certified disease free. When purchasing games I also do not acquire them on the first visit. I was gifted one hen on first visit and that shall not be repeated. I also like to look at relatives of the birds I am considering.

2 people like this.
  2. flypen

flypen Overrun With Chickens

Oct 1, 2013
    Shreveport,LA.
    If you think about it the gamefowl future doesn't have a lot of the younger generation interested in preserving the bloodlines. Ky just added some new laws against gamefowl and it want long till it'll be hard for anyone to legally own them. It aggravates the crap out of me about some of these people who talk about cruelty to gamefowl when in fact they are treated and taken very good care of. jmo

1 person likes this.
  3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

What are the new laws?

Part of the battle is putting the birds out in a more positive light. They are a valuable genetic resource that can be used in the future as a source of genetic variation for other components of chicken use. They are in many ways much better suited for backyard keeping than are the standard fare so currently kept.

Changes I know of are at the federal level.

We need to find a new vocation of the birds that takes advantage of their physical abilities and smarts, Games have persisted through periods before where dunghill was the realized for likely all in a given location.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    2 people like this.
  4. roosterhavoc

roosterhavoc Chicken Obsessed

Jan 5, 2012
    Not just the laws but the amount of work involved will keep most younger people away. Especially once you consider the stigma of having them.

1 person likes this.
  5. kingcocker

kingcocker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    LA county Ca
    todays inner city and suburban children are being raised with a wealth of misinformation on the birds and sport as a whole. My kids love and respect the birds boys and girls alike, I could see my nephew being a cocker one day.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  6. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    And the percentage of people that thinks just owning fighting chickens is illegal

7. JShubin

JShubin Overrun With Chickens

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern California
    My Coop
    I am pretty sure my kids will have gamefowl when they grow up (regular chickens at least). My 8 year old knows more about chickens than most adults I know.

Its funny when I have to explain to people that Roosters are Male and Hens are Female... but they are all considered chickens... and no you don't need a rooster for the hens to lay eggs. lol

8. JShubin

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern California
    My Coop
    Well my chicks love avocado... ate everything they could reach and left the pit floating on a small bridge of avocado flesh
    [​IMG]

9. JShubin

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern California
    My Coop
    I'd say he is cured, no more hunting chicks for this dog.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. kingcocker

kingcocker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    LA county Ca
    He's a good dog, keeps a close eye on the kids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by