Show Off Your American Gamefowl!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BANTAMWYANDOTTE, Dec 27, 2011.

1. JShubin

JShubin Overrun With Chickens

This little guy has potential. will be a big boy if he follows in his parents image.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  2. lmljsl

lmljsl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2014
    When you say "go broody" do you mean will actually set on eggs, or mean will tend to chicks after hatching. I remember old pictures when capons were more common that they were used as broodies, but can't remember if they set on the eggs or just adopted the chicks...

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Adoption after hatching. More typical investment involves simply rearing juveniles after hen weens them. I have no capon experience so would be interesting to look into. Adopting chicks (especially my American Dominiques) would have powerful advantages with respect to directing chicks to roosting areas and hawk management.

4. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    I tend to overengineer stuff anyway. If u have the roofing you're a good way there price wise. Like my above ground cages in hindsight I could have built it for probably a third of the cost. But oh well it sure isn't going anywhere

5. sdm111

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    nice looking lil stag shubin he's a red

6. JShubin

JShubin Overrun With Chickens

yeah Red, but I think he'll have a bit of brown red when he gets older.

His dad is my free range brown red, and the mom has a touch of brown red also. Both on the large/heavy side.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  7. sdm111

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    that hen looks like a hennie cock

8. MaycanGamefowl

MaycanGamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2015
    South Carolina
    that's what you call a class rooster

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

He took job seriously. When they do that they loose weight just like hens.

10. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    @jshubin,

Below is a video depicting hawking behavior. In this instance you can see quarry (craneflies). That level of foraging activity on the side of the bird can be sustained for over an hour. It is difficult for me to come up with a way to provide such conditioning via any other means. They will pursue June Beetles as well although those are slower and come in larger packages. We occasionally see moth hatches that get similar activity. Every once in a while grasshoppers provide similar opportunity as they seem to move in mass. With a typical hawking event, multiple birds will stake out areas in a line along edge / field border and run back and forth within their areas catching insects. Four other birds were doing the same to the right forming a line. No fighting evident. When this happens the chickens get search images like trout often do and start going after only what is most abundant. It takes very little time to achieve full crop filling.

[VIDEO]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by