1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Show off your converted playhouse coops

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Airilith, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I've been reading all the old threads I can get my eyes to look at. And while I was going through this Coop Section I saw the converted plastic Playhouse coops (ex: play skool). And I was amazed!

It's such a good idea! So I'd like to see them all and hear what the owners think about them (what they love and what they'd change).

And now as it's getting cooler I'm wondering how they're standing up in all the different climates.

Thanks bunches!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

As soon as I can get them done!! It's been raining and damp. Washed away all the painting I had down [​IMG] Suppose to be the same way this week. I'm working on a small town of playhouses.

3. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I have 4 used-storage-crates that look like play-houses. They were $100 each from craigslist. They're a good size and very sturdy, 5' wide, 8' long, 7' tall. I love them! I'm painting them easter-egg colors (pastels). Sorry no pictures yet, but maybe if it ever stops raining here I'll finish the painting!

4. Nana2KJS

Nana2KJS Chicks-n-Ahs

Mar 21, 2009
    SE Kansas
    [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=25641

We bought a new savannah playhouse last spring. Two windows on the south side and house vents on the north side offer a lot more light and fairly good ventilation. A doggie door serves as a pop hole. Hasn't been below freezing here, yet, but the little house is insulated just in case. Don't know if I will hang a ceramic heater or not. We do plan to put a sloped roof over the run so I don't have to shovel snow off the top.

Even if the chickens aren't impressed, I love the way it looks. I have added another poop board under the highest roost since I did my page; stays a LOT cleaner that way.

Spent WAY more on the whole thing than we will ever recover with just 4 hens and a few eggs, but we are pleased with it and the neighbors haven't complained so far.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  5. joy

joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Lancashire England
    Great looking coop [​IMG]

6. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Nana that coop is gorgeous!

I bet it's probably way out of my price range though. I meant more along the lines of the Little Tykes/Play Skool playhouses.

7. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Money well spent if the chicks ever deceid
    to flee elsewhere,
    you [​IMG] will have more waiting in line to get in.

8. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    Quote:awesome job... its so cute

9. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I'm also thinking about a bantam town using different styles of the plastic playhouses. I saw one suggestion to insulate them that may be helpful in colder climates. Just drill small holes in the panels and fill with the expanding foam. Good Luck

10. Caincando1

Caincando1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Dodge Center MN
    Nothing fancy, just a temporary coop and run I put together using an old childrens play house that was on the property when we bought it. Next summer I'll build a bigger coop.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by