Show off your ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PearlTheDuck, Oct 19, 2016.

1. PearlTheDuck

PearlTheDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas
    This thread is to show off your duck(s)! Any and all breeds and ages!
    ------
    This is my duck Pearl, she is a 6 month old crested Buff Orpington [​IMG] she says hi from Texas[​IMG]

[​IMG]

------

RIP to her brother, Pete[​IMG] I still cry to this day if I think of him [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Here is them together as ducklings

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    awwww...what happened to Petey?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is my girl Heidi
    Shes a 4 month old saxony

1 person likes this.
  3. PearlTheDuck

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas
    Aw she is beautiful! I'm thinking of getting some Saxony's in the spring!

----
    And about pete
    Well, as you can see Pearl is crested and if you don't know a crest is a lump of fat and feathers covering a hole in their skull, so if it is to be ripped of from a Drake while mating or other such things, the brain will be exposed and the duck will die and the duck is prone to have neurological issues, pete was born with neurological issues, that's how he died[​IMG]. When we first got them you could barely tell they were crested and I had no idea a crested duck existed, but as he grew I noticed differences between them, like Pearl could get in and out of the pool and he could not, and also he would flip on his back and I would have to help him up, until one day I looked outside and he was having a full seizure, which is a common issue with crested ducks which I never knew, at first it was one seizure every few hours to three plus seizures an hour and after a few days we had to put him down, I was very attached to him and it was traumatizing to see. It was not a niacin issue because we gave them the right amount as directed and we gave him a bunch just in case that was the issue and it did not work, and Pearl was fine. Graphic and sad, I will never again get a crested duck, I didn't know at the time. But Pearl is an amazing duck. It's hit or miss with crested ducks, I don't suggest it. I apologize for how long this is, there is no way to put it short, I don't think. Best wishes to you and Heidi though [​IMG]

Edit - don't know why it did not quote you, Bills vs Beaks

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Kids....Feathered puppies.....

Cheers!

5. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    [​IMG]
    Mud is awesome!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. PearlTheDuck

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas
    Oh

Oh my goodness they are precious! What are the breeds?[​IMG]

7. PearlTheDuck

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas
    So precious! Breeds? I think I see some Rouens!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So sorry to hear about Petey [​IMG]

9. PearlTheDuck

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

Yeah, he passed in May, it was sad to see Pearl quack for him [​IMG] when he was alive she would follow him wherever he went, they were inseparable, if they were apart they would quack really loud to find each other, she knew he was sick, she would watch over him and care for him [​IMG] she just hangs around with the chickens now, and we're gonna get more ducks in the spring because I hate that she's an only duck, I really want some Indian runners or Welsh Harlequins and even some more buffs, but I'm not picky [​IMG]

10. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana

The first is a Rouen, Lola; second Muscovy; third Indian Runners (I always get a kick out of how they stand on one leg and sleep!) And fourth is another Runner, Skittles.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by