show off your Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by heritagehabitatfarms, Oct 25, 2009.

1. heritagehabitatfarms

heritagehabitatfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2009
    clinton ar
    i am interested in getting some Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds and would like to see some pics... also any info... i have seen some pics on hear before but now i cant find them [​IMG] .... also i have heard of a strain? of Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds called Dark Mahoney... what is the difference between them and the normal ones??? also where did you get yours??? and do you sell them??? pls list eggs,chicks,or adults ect... also sandhill sells them are there any other places that sell them and how good is there stock???
    thanks for the help and pics....

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:
    also i have heard of a strain? of Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds called Dark Mahoney... what is the difference between them and the normal ones???

Do you mean Dark Mahogany? If so that is just the color they should be. All Rhode Island Reds should be a Rich Red color sometimes called Mahogany..

what is the difference between them and the normal ones

The rich red color are bread to the APA standard for the color.

where did you get yours???

My line of RIR's are from two different breeders. The male side of my line came from Dennis Myers who is no longer breeding RIR's and the female side is from Dick Hortsman a breeder in PA.

and do you sell them

Not at this time. I wont be selling any thing from this line for about 2 more years. By then I should have them the way I'm looking for. Till then all extras/culls I have go to 2 other farms.
    (poultry judges that are working with me on this line)

Here are some of my birds. Sorry there not in the best of condition they were going into a molt at the time.

Young Rooster ( 14 months old )
    [​IMG]

Cockerel ( 6 months old )
    [​IMG]

Hen ( 12 months old )
    [​IMG]

Pullet ( 6 months old )
    [​IMG]

Day old chick
    [​IMG]

For more information on Rose Comb RIR's try here
    http://bloslspoutlryfarm.tripod.com/id13.html
    You can ask questions about RIR's go to
    crohio then click here to go to CROHIO Breed Club Message Board Forums then click Rhode Island Red Club of America....

Chris​

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  3. heritagehabitatfarms

Oct 11, 2009
    clinton ar
    ahh yep it was yours that i saw the photos on hear before... very nice looking birds [​IMG] ...

**Do you mean Dark Mahogany? If so that is just the color they should be. All Rhode Island Reds should be a Rich Red color sometimes called Mahogany..**

you are probably right... the guy i was talking to listed them that way... i thought it could be a strain name or something...

he does not ship and lives 9+ hours away from me [​IMG]

**My line of RIR's are from two different breeders. The male side of my line came from Dennis Myers who is now out of the RIR's and the female side is from Dick Hortsman a breeder in PA.**

do you have an email for Dick Hortsman??? does he still sell them???

i have always liked the RIR but i am trying to concentrate on the rare or endangered breeds... so these will be perfect [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

thanks for the info

4. heritagehabitatfarms

Oct 11, 2009
    clinton ar
    is there anybody else on hear with them????

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Dick hortsman does sell and ship but only from I would say May till August if I remember right.
    I cant remember his E-mail at this time..
    In the spring if you go to eggbid com and search for dickschicks that would be him.. He is a APA judge and his wife is the secretary for the APA..

Chris

6. heritagehabitatfarms

Oct 11, 2009
    clinton ar
    ok i know one of the APA board members ill email him and ask if he has it thanks [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Your welcome..
    Like I said he does ship but not this time of the year..
    I believe he sell the eggs for 15.00 a dozen and chicks at 125.00 for 25 then shipping on top of that..

Chris

8. heritagehabitatfarms

Oct 11, 2009
    clinton ar
    come on folks 43503 ppl on here and only one has RCRIR????????????????

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Try over at crohio..

(crohio com) then (click here to go to CROHIO Breed Club Message Board Forums) then
    (click Rhode Island Red Club of America)....

Chris

10. ILOVEFRIZZLES

ILOVEFRIZZLES Red Roof Hens

Feb 2, 2009
    Hamilton Ga
    Miss jayne has them I will have some next year, Dick Hortsman line

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by