Show off your Welsh Harlequins... and share some inside info.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aileenpnz, Nov 21, 2016.

1. aileenpnz

aileenpnz Just Hatched

Sep 26, 2016
    I have only ever lived across from wild ducks but recently decided we needed some for the eggs and fell in love at first sight with a breeding pair of Welsh Harlequins which I then bought, driving narrow winding roads for about 8 hours and over 600kms -with my 3 y/o DD to get them... a large trip in the Kiwi mindset as it's nearly half the country. I was also blessed at the same time with a mix of 10 fertile, mixed eggs and promptly popped them under a bombproof broody I have... after 10 days of waiting for Quinella to get used to her new home and start laying again, hoping to induce her to sit as she had had 2 clutches (or is it broods? in the previous year. Harley her hubby proved to be a honey- very devoted to her and not in the least interested in the chickens in any way -unless vying for the same morsel - but we do have a creek down the bottom of the paddock. And the WH's presence has been encouraging the very little native Black Teal Ducks closer in (also known as Scaup- they are a tiny 40cm long and weigh only650g -almost as if they were a big bath toy!) Which is quite exciting as they are rather shy wee things. The eggs have htched and we have currently got 2 WH and 3 KC's with a few mortalities and mum removed from the cage due to attacks... Unfortunately she killed one KC duckling so I swapped in the surrogate hen mama. Out of 11 eggs we had 8 turn out viable -One hatchling was stepped on and died soon after hatching and I learnt the valuable lesson that an egg that hasn't hatched 2 days after the rest could just have been unevenly incubated - or have died a week before the rest as that was the size difference :( I wasn't familiar with the possibility of candling sitting eggs.

Small issue with me starting this thread... While not a technophobe I'm certainly not gifted at things like transferring pics off my cell phone or camera to the PC... partially because I am gifted at misplacing certain essential cords and things... AND aparrently files - as I haven't been able to find the only picture I had on here grr!

2. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    This is Lucy who we bought this summer. Lucy is one and a half years old.
    [​IMG]

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

My Drake.....His name is D.W......7 months......

4. GoldenFlight

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    He looks like a big drake!

5. chickens really

Not really.....My Calls are making him look Big.........He is a great Drake....Imprinted on me...Waits for me at the Back door....He is a Pet!

6. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Go Habs Go Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    [​IMG]
    WH drake, Tucson....

7. chickens really

[​IMG]

My other Welsh Drake I had....He was Silver fazed.......

Cheers!

Table4Six likes this.
  8. DuckMD

DuckMD Just Hatched

Aug 27, 2016
    [​IMG]

This is Marta Anne, 12 week old WH duck

Table4Six likes this.
  9. DuckMD

DuckMD Just Hatched

Aug 27, 2016
    [​IMG]

This is me, front, hanging with my gang.

Table4Six likes this.
  10. GoldenFlight

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Oh, okay. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by