show off your winter boredom busters ideas for chickens, and ducks!

I rotate items so that they don't get bored.
I will make my own flock block and make them a small meatloaf size.
I'll shovel snow into the run for them (snow doesn't typically get into the run)
I do the water bottle toy
I'll hang cabbage, apples, put in a squash.
I will add shavings but leave them in a pile for them to disperse.
All these ideas last all winter, not done every day.

@Xouie @DancingDucks your in Washington, you experience the same weather as me, and maybe you have some ideas that will be helpful to me as well!

Oh, I’m down in California. Winter for us is about 10 days of rain, some fog, and maybe one or two morning frosts. This will be the first year in a long time that we’ve had chickens during winter, so I’ll be looking at suggestions here too.

With the quail I break up a flake of alfalfa hay (it also helps with any muddy spots) and add some fake plants for them to explore.

I'll shovel snow into the run for them (snow doesn't typically get into the run)
Hmmmm.... homemade flock block. I can get kid entertainment and chicken enrichment all in one shot. Cool!

This is kinda may idea, I think it will be fun!

I have done the water bottle toy (that was a big hit) and putting hay on the ground for them to dig in. If you get leaf piles I throw some mealworms in there and they will be obsessed with finding them!! I made a sand pit for dust baths, and if your chickens don’t have a mirror yet GET ONE!!! They love their mirrors and preen there every day.

I
I have done the water bottle toy (that was a big hit) and putting hay on the ground for them to dig in. If you get leaf piles I throw some mealworms in there and they will be obsessed with finding them!! I made a sand pit for dust baths, and if your chickens don’t have a mirror yet GET ONE!!! They love their mirrors and preen there every day.
I was planning on getting these, and a mirror toy from amazon. Wondering if a rooster will attack a mirror...😂

Winter here is not much of deal, shorter days and a couple of cold streaks for Dec and Jan. The chickens however do deal with less vegetation to forage on. This year I built a green house where I grow plants that they forage on in my seed starting trays that have cracks and leaks. This is my first one for the winter and by December it should be about a foot tall and perfect for chickens to forage on when they deplete my yard of grass and weeds.
IMG_7470 2.JPG

Back
Top Bottom