show quality BOs??? (picture overload :D:D:D)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Jan 17, 2009.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    are my BOs at least somewhat show quality? i am trying to deside which of my birds i should show. they are about 5 or so months old.
    thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chicken Freak

Chicken Freak Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2008
    they look good to me. Also check and see if they have large, moist vents.

3. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    wow, they have small combs compared to my 5-month old buffs! They are pretty girls. You should look in the Standard of Perfection to get all the exact deails on show quality.

4. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    Quote:do they judge on how 'moist' there vents are???

5. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    Quote:lol i there combs where big for there age! they might actually be around 4 or so months old just somewhere around 5 months. [​IMG] thanks!

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Mine are are almost 5.5 months old and the combs are the same size. They look good. I believe they should be a little more stocky, filled out and fluffy, but they're still young yet.

7. lady chicken whisperer

lady chicken whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Ohio
    They look just fine. I would pick the poofiest one you have. I must say though, in my area, a breed as plain as BO's wouldnt win squat. The judges here want to see a more interesting patterned bird because they are prettier and are hard to get perfect patterns. I always show my best Barred Bantam Cochins and nearly always win.

8. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    Quote:i live in a small town and its just a 4H show that i would enter so it isnt that big of a deal. and they have differnt sections for like BOs, bantys, cochins, etc.

9. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Quote:lol i there combs where big for there age! they might actually be around 4 or so months old just somewhere around 5 months. [​IMG] thanks!

Oh my goodness! One of my girls has such a large comb, it is flopping over! She has been laying eggs since she was 20 weeks old. I've been really worried about their combs due to the below zero temps we have had here. I'm afraid there is a bit of frostbite on the tip of my littlest hen's comb. [​IMG]

10. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Quote:do they judge on how 'moist' there vents are???

LOL! Acually some what yeah hard to beleave they make sure they have a large moist vent that has no discharge and no pesticide in bigger shows they could disquallify you for discharge, pesticides, and dry crusty vents... Yep! Kepp that in mind if you decide to show at Larger shows....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by