Show quality breeders in Illinois

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by mikeb, May 18, 2010.

1. mikeb

mikeb New Egg

May 17, 2010
    I'm wondering if any one knows of any great, show quality chicken breeders in Illinois or surrounding areas? My preference is toward a place that would allow pick up.

2. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Mike, You don't say where in Illinois you are. I went to the Illini Show in Belvidere last September, not to show but to learn, and got a listing of all the participants in the show. It doesn't tell you what they entered but I could match the number on the birds cage with the breeder and wrote some on the listing that I was interested in. At some point in the future, I will mail a request asking about their stock. I went to the breed club site for the breed I wanted and received the names of two breeders, one in MN and one WI, I wrote them both and one returned an email. You might try that. I would suggest you look at the Breeds, Showing, Genetics forum and find the breed thread that you're interested in. If you don't find a breeder from Illinois there, someone may know of one. List on the Wanted to Buy forum for show quality "......" whatever breed you want. And...............[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

If you are interested in Welsummers and Spitzhaubens, I do know a few breeders here in Illinois. It would help if you can tell us of your location so we can pin point which is closer or if you want to take a drive for the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by