Show Quality? (Cochins)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickLover98, Oct 9, 2011.

1. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    My LFC and BBC are almost 6 months old and haven't started laying yet. I know they aren't full grown yet, either, but it's about time I figure out if they are show quality or not so that I can start showing next year. I have 3 hens and a rooster in LFC and 1 BBC hen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shadow... LFC smooth

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cloudy... LFC Frizzle

[​IMG]
    Belle... LFC Frizzle

[​IMG]
    Onyx... LFC smooth cockerel

[​IMG]
    Rosie... BBC Frizzle

Thanks!

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    there nice looking make shure u breed for yellow legs went to show this weekend every cochin there had wrong color legs

3. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:They all have yellow bottoms of their feet, and theyre not done growing, so we'll have to see. I didn't take much notice to the leg color yet, but I will today. Thanks! [​IMG]

4. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:They all have yellow bottoms of their feet, and theyre not done growing, so we'll have to see. I didn't take much notice to the leg color yet, but I will today. Thanks! [​IMG]

standard states leggs are to be yellow, yes u can get away with just yellow pads but black feet are still fault

5. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania

standard states leggs are to be yellow, yes u can get away with just yellow pads but black feet are still fault

Ok, I'm going to go look today. It's hard to notice when they're out playing and their feathers cover their feet! [​IMG]

6. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

They are beautiful birds....

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Actually the Standard for Black Cochin shanks calls for legs that are yellow OR black shading to yellow. Bottoms of the feet must show some yellow.

8. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    this is right out standard
    shanks and toes
    male yellow or ducky yellow bottom of feet yellow
    female yellow or dusy yellow yellow perferred bottoms of feet yellow
    un less it been rewriten in the 2010 book

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  9. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    They all have yellow bottoms of their feet.

Most of them have yellow based legs with greyish on top of it. It's really hard to tell, because of all of their feet fliff.

10. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Both blue and black cochins are allowed to have dark shaded legs as long as the bottoms of the feet are yellow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by