Show quality eggs!! lol

josh_bigler

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
windsor, missouri
this is to the "sticky" on the chicks and chickens forsale-- about selling eggs stating Show quality eggs because the parens are show quality or chicks that are from show quality chickens

even though i agree very much that its used a lot, but then again i DISAGREE, for the reason being, is that i would MUCH rather buy eggs from a show quality pair, and stay away from pet quality eggs, In business and advertisement you use phrases like that to lift up sales, yes im sure a lot of you may disagree with me, but... thats just my opinion... works the same with pups too, if you buy a pup from a show quality breed expect to pay more, thats just how it works in our society, yes you do not know for sure what is going to pop out of that egg but the thought of it coming out of a show quality breed sales a lot better, And it is perfectly legal to sale "show Quality" eggs

i want to know everyones opinion, just to see if im the oddball here:p

kind of like buying a name brand tylanol compared to the genaric, genaric is cheaper, but some people like to pay more for the name brand just because they think it's "better".. lol

Last edited:
Ok, here goes. I think you can say that the eggs come from show quality parents, IF they are truly show quality. You cannot, however, say eggs/chicks are show quality because even two perfect specimens can produce a pet quality chick. So no one can claim show quality eggs, just the quality of the parents of those eggs. You cannot know if a chick will grow up to be show quality, no matter what its parentage.

yes i agree also! , yes some may be pet quality, well probably most, but my point being is that would you rather buy eggs from a rough looking flock, a show quality flock, or a pet quality flock? lets says there is a dollar difference on the eggs, in most cases its not a dollar, much more, i dont want to start a debate here, i just want to know everyones opinions on this subject

Josh, of course, I'd rather buy eggs from a high quality flock. Who wouldn't? That isn't in question, just what a breeder can ethically call the eggs/chicks you get from that flock is the issue. I'm interested to see if there are differing opinions on this.

Last edited:
a breeder also has a legal right to call his eggs/chicks show quality because, show quality can ALSO be an matter of opinion, As long as it has one beak, two feet & two wings it's show quality to me
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Show quality breeding stock. Do you have show quality birds if there are at least 12 exhibitors and you win best of breed out of 100 birds? Possibly
Do you have show quality if you win best of breed out of 10 birds and you are the only exhibitor? Very slim chance you can profess that you did when you beat yourself with your own birds. So are you buying show quality birds from an exhibitor that goes to all the small shows and brags about winning best of breed and they are the only exhibitor. There are some breeders that only show at the small shows so they win every time and advertise their wins as such that they won best of breed in 10+ shows but only beat themselves or beat a few very small breeders/beginners that may have had questionable quality birds to start with. That is something to ponder when buying. HS

When I buy "show quality" eggs, I expect to get a chick that is a lot closer to show quality chickens. No, I don't expect to get the perfect chick from every egg, but I do expect to get a lot closer to the standard than with just a plain old egg. And so far, I have not been disappointed. Some of my chicks are alot better than others, and that's what I'm looking for. In fact, I do have some absolutely beautiful chicks. You really can tell the difference...

Eggs can be from show quality stock, which I'm sure could be more desirable, but there are no show quality eggs.

At least I've never heard of an egg show...

Quote:
nicely said, and yes i've also noticed a b ig difference especially out of my silkies, i have a pair that are pet quality and then a pair of show quality, the show quality pair always produces chicks that just look so much better than the pet quality in my opinion, and im also dumb so dont listen to me, i just traded my whole silkie flock for ONE ROOSTER, lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom