Show Quality Minorcas??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by WyandotteTX, May 27, 2010.

1. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    Just wondering if anyone out there was raising or showing any quality Black, White, Buff, Single or Rose Comb Minorcas? Would love to see some pics of them if anyone has them. Would love to raise some again if anyone knows of any breeders out there.
    I have raised Buffs and Blacks over the years. Had one trio of Whites about 10 years ago and loved them also.Have had large flocks of Blacks raised by different members of the family along the way. Always thought they were gorgeous, majestic birds even though they were just hatchery stock.

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I "had" some. They all passed along, other than the male which I sold to a gentleman at the Shawnee, OK show. Here he is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. WyandotteTX

Jan 10, 2010
    Those are some nice looking birds. Too bad they have passed on down the road, would love to get some soon. Do you know anyone who might have some of that quality and any color?

4. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have a pair of Blacks from Sand Hill Preservation. They are looking good but only 12-weeks old. He is a nice sized bird. They claim these a good stock in their catalog and supposed to be better than their Buffs, which I also have a trio of. I do like them so far except the Buff boy is getting a bit aggressive, but that could be because I need to thin out the pen they are in. I only ordered the Blacks and because of laying and hatching problems early in the spring, I got a bunch of subs on the first batch and the Buffs were subs, although I am really liking them. The Buffs are proving to be a bit smaller, but I do like my cockerel. I need to get out and take some pictures this week when I split them up and I will post them.

rodriguez- that roo is beautiful! I am hoping my Black cockerel matures to look as nice.

5. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Forrest Beauford had a pen of them, I wish I could remember the name of the man who purchased Psycho (cockerel) from me. Dangit...it's right there, but I can't remember it. Come to the Shawnee Poultry Show in Shawnee, OK. There were at least 6 pullets/hens there the year before last. I'll see if I can't remember who it was..if nothing else, I can get you some contacts as to who might have some birds or who might know of someone.

I think Richard Schock still has some, but he's a ways up north, I think North Carolina?

6. WyandotteTX

Jan 10, 2010
    Thanks for the info, all of you. I knew Forrest used to raise Blacks but didnt know if he still did. I have seen Richard Schocks in the Poultry Press for years and they do always look so stunning.
    I really am kind of interested in seeing the Rose Comb White or Blacks, never seen any of them and am curious.
    My Buffs that I used to raise were smaller also than any of the Blacks we had but still pretty good birds I thought. Never had any problems with being aggressive though.

7. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Forrest did have some rose combs running in his single-combed pen, so maybe he had some chicks hatch out?

Minnie, thank you for the compliment! He was simply too flighty for what I wanted. Just couldn't deal with a bird that screeched like I was strangling him everytime I touched him. Give me a Langshan any day...

8. RCROE

RCROE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    FT.Payne AL.
    I have a trio here and a pair in Mississippi I will be picking up the 1st of the month and have a few eggs in bator now to hatch the 5th .. will stay in touch with you

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  9. WyandotteTX

Jan 10, 2010
    Maybe I will try and give Forrest a call and see what he has.
    Most of ours were very attentive but not too flighty. Never as flighty as Leghorns or Anconas but still a light breed in being a little more high strung than lots of other breeds.

10. WyandotteTX

Jan 10, 2010
    Any White Minorca owners out there? I know they are pretty rare but in my limited experience I thought they were pretty great. Liked them better than White Leghorns for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by