Show quality runners

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by buttons59, Oct 5, 2012.

1. buttons59

buttons59 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    Hi, i had lots of replys to my thread asking whether or not my duck is a runner duck and alot of people came back to me saying they are not true runner colours or stature they are proberbly a commercial strain, i did'nt realise you could get different strains of runner ducks, although my runner ducks are pets ( i have 3 girls and one boy) i did want to hatch some of their eggs next year or sell there fertile eggs, would i not be able to sell them as runner ducks or runner duck eggs. Any advice appreciated.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You can, as far as I know, sell them as runners, though you would want to provide information that these are not SQ, as some people abbreviate it, and perhaps include photo's of the parents.

Some of the offspring may have more or less of the runner "ideal" characteristics, since that is the way that breeds are developed - by breeding the ducks that look the way you want them.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    x2 what Amiga said. You can sell them as pet quality (PQ) ducklings and hatching eggs

4. buttons59

buttons59 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    What are good qualities to look for in pure runner ducks and do you know where would i get eggs from to hatch myself locally or buy post i live in berkshrie. Thanks

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Here is an article to take a look at. Standards are set by certain organizations, and this is the A.P.A. site.

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/judgingrunners.htm

Holderread in Oregon has sold show quality runners for a number of years. I don't know if he has retired. There are others on the forum much more in tune with this than I.

Enjoy your research! Also, try a search of the BYC archives using key phrases like "runner duck show quality"

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Berkshire, England?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by