*Show Quality Sebastopol Geese*

muscovy94

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Vicksburg, MS
Hey everyone I am wondering who on here has Show Quality sebastopols and who will be willing to sell some eggs in the spring.

Thanks.
smile.png

I bought my hen from Hoffman at the Ohio Nationals 2008 last fall and she got them from Overton. She won 1st in hens and RV at the show. I also bought a male from the same breeder to go with her. I only sell goslings, not eggs though.

21841_044.jpg

21841_042.jpg

Last edited:
this last pair from the Nationals was from Overtons line (bought them from Hoffman)..not sure if that is a good thing or not. Brice Wonders helped me pick out a good Gander to go with the female, I know he raised and showed them for years. I have a friend who is a large waterfowl judge and fanatic, and he swears the standard needs to be changed on the sebs..seems he likes them to have longer bodies, which I am thinking the females are suppose to have very round bodies...please correct me if I am wrong.

The rest of the gang came from Freddie Gregory here in Kentucky, he got his directly from some breeder that imported from Europe years ago..I know he really dislikes the Holderread's line of Sebs...not sure why though. Anyway Freddie has had his for years and like everyone else has good ones and not so good ones...but some really, really good ones. You can go to our website and see more pictures of the geese there..

MT
Forgot our previous conversation.
tongue.png

All I know is the breed standard calls for a round body
but there does seem to be both types in the US.
I don't mind if they have a longer body as long is its not narrow and upright. I like to see lots of substance, level top line and a medium, very straight neck.
(Dave K. brain washed me on that)
wink.png

I also like a nice rounded forehead and big eyes.

I do know some prominant mid-west and east coast waterfowl breeders that don't like DH. They've told me why but I don't think I want to open that can of worms.
hide.gif

If he's still in Sebs would you please PM me Freddies contact info?

IMO Audrey has some of the best Sebs around.

Last edited:
th.gif
Why would anyone want to change the standard of the body type? Could it because a longer body might be beneficial to preventing egg binding? Most of the "roundness seems to come from the feathering anyway! I agree with cottage rose on the head type. I do not like a snippyhead! They rounder head (and full cheek bones) and bigger eyes are much more appealing. I am convinced that the colors are way behind the whites,and like some other breeds of animals might need their own standard, if they are ever excepted by the APA .

Last edited:
Banter
If you look at any given breed standard from horses to geese you will see trends in type that deviate from the standard.
Don't get me started on trends that have outright ruined some breeds of dogs and horses.
somad.gif

MT did the judges say why they liked a longer body?

Cottage Rose, I am not sure why the judge likes longer bodies, my husband mostly talks to him. Freddie post on here now and then. Fallscreek I believe is his screen name.

We mostly show call ducks and a few chickens. We are just getting into breeding the Sebs for show. I need to figure out a way to keep them clean for showing.

Back
Top Bottom