Show Quality Sebrights

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NC29mom, Aug 5, 2010.

1. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    How does one go about obtaining show quality birds? I just love the golden laced sebrights and would love to have some great birds to show. I ordered 15 from a hatchery, but I know that bets are they won't be show quality.

Here's one place I found, just wasn't sure:
    http://greenfirefarms.com/store/category/chickens/sebright/

their birds are beautiful, just a bit high in price I think. BUT, I am considering....

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    It's hard to see what they're type is like from the photos... [​IMG]

3. exoticduckluvr

exoticduckluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Vancleave
    I have never ordered from them but if you look at their auctions they make some big bucks on what they sell. Their name and stock carries alot of weight in the poultry world.
    You could call and talk to them

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    IMO they charge too much for those... I bet if you shopped around you could find good or better stock cheaper than if you bought from there.

5. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Quote:REALLY?? How do you go about finding about their auctions? Their birds are gorgeous, and they state they are show quality.

6. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    This is the Sebright Club of America website. You should be able to find nice breeder quality Sebrights from a member there. Hatchery Sebrights are very different from good breeder quality Sebrights.
    http://www.aviangems.com/Sebright/Club Officers.htm

7. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Jerry Bonds, they don't make'em any better than his...

8. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Sorry to say the birds shown are extremely poor examples of the breed, too long in the back, a lot of bad combs, combs incorrect colour especially the females, and generally very poor lacing.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I agree with blackdotte and would also like to add that the roosters have all full long hackles. Sebright roosters should not have hackles that are extending past the shoulders if they do then there a DQ (to me the Gold Sebright roosters I see on there look to be DQ's).

Chris

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  10. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Quote:Do you know if he has a website? Did a search for him, and didn't find a whole lot. I'd love to see his Sebrights.

Edit: Just noticed he's a member of the Sebright club.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by