Show Quality Silkie Chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MalcolmHawkins, Oct 22, 2013.

1. MalcolmHawkins

MalcolmHawkins Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    Chicago , Illinois
    Hi Everybody. I'm part of the FFA and 4H club and i'm HIGHLY interested in purchasing show Silkie Chickens. I was wondering what i would need to feed them. Is there a brand of feed i could feed my Silkie especially for silkies. Remind you i'm new to this and i don't have a lot of money. Thank you for the help!

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi I raise Silkies too. I buy my chicks as show quality however that does not guarantee they will all grow up to be show quality. I usually use purenia feed.i start out using medicated chick starter. The medicated cuts down on occurences of coccidosis. Then I go to grower. Then usually I go to layer feed when they are
    old enough. It has calcium for the eggs. With silkies you will want to give vitamins when they are off the medicated feed. Espically vitamin E. they have a tendency to develop wry neck if they don't have enough E. You can buy a great multi vitamin packet from first state vet online that's priced reasonably and it has vitamin A D and E in it. Then you will want a B vitamin also. I get all my vitamins from first state vet online. You can also if you like supplement protien by giving scrambled eggs. Lately my girls get warm oatmeal and scrambled eggs for breakfast along with the seed. you can also put rooster boos t er or flock fuel on the food for vitamin E and it makes the feathers nice. Basically silkies are like other chickens EXCEPT most show quality birds have a vaulted skull. this means one peck on the head just right can really hurt them. A vaulted skull is what makes the crests look so large in most show quality birds.it means their skull is not closed like other birds. Ask your breeder if your bird is vaulted or not. they will know. If vaulted use caution with them around other birds. But don't worry even vaulted birds live a normal happy life. Just be cautious they don't get pecked on the skull.it can cause wry neck also if they get a skull injury. Have you bought your chicks yet? If yes what breeder did you use? I know of a couple nice breeders that ship chicks that are show quality. Most show quality babies go for about 15 to 30 dollars per chick. I found a nice breeder that I got chicks from for 15 per chick. The breeder I used prior went for 30 per chick. Well I hope this helps andif you have any more questions private message me and id be more than happy to help if I can. I have some show quality chicks being sent out on monday.two buff females. Im very excited to get them! I can't hardly wait. I wish you the best with your bird. You will find silkies to be the most loving and sweet birds. They are great tempered and so gentle. Have fun and good luck

3. MalcolmHawkins

Oct 22, 2013
    Chicago , Illinois
    I haven't bought them yet. can you make any recommendations. My teacher is giving me a limit of 3 so hopefully they don't have a minimum 3. is it okay if i also message you in the future about things?

4. daphneysmamma

daphneysmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    erwin , NC
    wow ! I found this helpful !! my sons ( and I ) go to our first pultry association meet in march they( one in particular) really wants to get into the JR show divisions.. I know nothing about showing chickens..lol.. I just know my chickens are beautiful ha! but it seems there is much more to it than that ! id like to get him a silkie or 5 .. to show I want to let him breed his own really but id love to start off purchasing good quality to get him started .. so he may be on here soon to just like you young man !

5. MalcolmHawkins

Oct 22, 2013
    Chicago , Illinois
    Tell him he can message me anytime. Id love to show him my flock. :)

6. daphneysmamma

daphneysmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    erwin , NC
    how are your babies coming along ? id love to see them!

7. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    I am pleased to hear that I can feed my silkie chicks medicated chick starter, as I can buy a little bag of it and not get stuck with it!!

8. MalcolmHawkins

Oct 22, 2013
    Chicago , Illinois
    i use medicated chick feed and my babies came out perfectly healthy. I don't know why so many people are against it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by