show quality

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by milliefleur, Aug 17, 2011.

1. milliefleur

milliefleur Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    i'm trying to learn what to look for in a show quality bantam. could someone give me some things to look for? i'm also trying to get more show quality breeding stock as well. but i don't really know what to look for. so i don't know if i am getting a when i buy.

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Well, going by your name, I'm guessing you are refering to Mille Fleurs, but what breed? D'Uccles?? Figure out what breed you want to know about, then Google the specific breed club. There you can find the SOP, (Standard of Perfection) for that specific breed. Then you will have more of an idea what to look for, and what to avoid when choosing quality birds. If you are buying eggs or chicks, try to see the adult birds. There is of course no guarantee when you buy chicks, that they will be show quality, even when coming from two show quality birds, but at least you will have a better chance. [​IMG] OH! Buy from a reputable, breeder that shows their birds!! Chances of getting show quality from a hatchery are about nil.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Every breed has different standards to look for. If you are serious about showing, you really need to purchase a Standard of Perfection. The Bantam Standard is $35.00. You can buy it on the American Bantam Association Website. They also have breeders listed on their site that you might buy birds from.

You can also find an ABA sanctioned show near you and see if anyone has any birds for sale or if you can get hooked up with a breeder to buy some from. Once you decide on a breed, then you can begin to learn what to look for in that breed. It takes time to learn, but it is fun learning. Good luck!

4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Excellent advice Juliechick,
    teh standard of perfection is your starting point, then select a breed, then locate a breeder, as for "show quality" stock that varies from breeder to breeder and individuals oppinions as well. there is always some room for intepretation of teh standard. But learn the DQs for what you want to work with and avoid them. learn what to look for in a good bird, read the standard for type repeatedly then read on the color (variety) to understand it better. Keep in mind without proper type it is just a chicken when type is right it is that breed, then you have color to make it that variety.

5. milliefleur

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    Quote:thank you everyone for all the information i really appreciate all the info. debbi d'uccle mille fleur is what i was refering to. they are also one of the breeds i want to show. i really like byc everyone is very helpful. i have a lot to learn and a lot of questions but i had one to ask know i have all of you make learning things a lot easier. thanks to all of you.[​IMG]

6. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i have OEGB mille fleurs... and breed porcelains as well...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mille fleur is my favorite color/pattern for chickens... i really want to get some bantam cochin mille fleurs and i was going to get a mille fleur serama earlier today as well... gorgeous birds...

7. milliefleur

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    Quote:beautiful birds. mille fleur color is my favorite. i also have OEGB mille fleurs, they are to young to start breed yet but soon i will be able to breed them as well. i really want to get d'cuccle porcelains. they are just a beautiful bird love them all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by