Show Quality???

GuineaLady93

Songster
11 Years
Aug 7, 2011
Cameron, NC
My Coop
My Coop
Are any of my Indian Runner Ducks show quality??
Thanks,
Ashley
102830_100_8269.jpg

102830_100_8272.jpg

I would say probably not. but I'm no expert. Color may be an issue because standards are very specific. Google some pics. I have Storey's guide to raising ducks and it has some pics. The show runners are basically verticle and I think their beaks are a bit different. I think people use bowling pins and wine bottles as examples of what they should look like.

Quote:
Thank you!! I bought them as hatching eggs.
I was thinking the white male in the second picture would be the best.
(that is dirt on his back not coloring)

They do not appear to be SQ to me but the white drake is the best looking. I LOVE the ancona type splotches on that one in the first pic! It would be so neat to see a while flock of runners marked like that!

Yeah, mostly all I know about SQ runners is that the more upright the better, so from where I am, you are right, the white drake in 2nd pic looks like he'd have the best shot. I mean, I don't know as far as for legal/commercial reasons, but on the other hand...if you want to show, just start bringing him to shows, and see what the judges have to say!

He looks worth putting in a pen to me- he has a slight dip in his back between the wings- but it could just be that he is young or the way he is standing. It can be very hard to say from a single photo. Whites are harder to get clean for a show than coloured ducks- but you really need to know your standards and what a duck really should look like when it comes to colours.

There is another female I can see there that looks to have a good head- but a few to the left of the second photo look very solid, chesty, round headed and short making me think a few generations ago , 2 or 3 maybe there was a cross breeding back to a pekin or similar duck.

Back
Top Bottom