Show Quality?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by L&Schickens, Jul 16, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    This is my son's Black Dutch Bantam rooster. He is 5 months old. Do you think he would be a competitive bird in the show ring? He has one bad flaw. He has a bald spot on his wing where a weasel got him. The feathers never grew back. How bad would that be to a judge? She we show him or not?

Thanks!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He has some good computer skills as well. Maybe that will help in the show ring?
    [​IMG]

He is a good strategist for war games too.
    [​IMG]

"We blew up the enemy tank!"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    AWWWWWWW that is so cute! Beautiful bird too!

I dont know about judging nowadays but back then, in my college days, any missing feathers or bald spots would knock a point or so off from the chart. If he is showing for fun, then by all means, go ahead and show for fun. Remind him that he may or may not get a blue ribbon, knowing the fact that he would get points taken down for the bird.

Good luck!

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    well i dont know,i just had to say the last picture is great.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  4. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    We would be showing for fun, for now. He is only 5 and I don't know if he will ever want to be competitive with poultry or not, but I let him know his little "Black Velvet" might not win any ribbons because of his bald spot. Loren said "We will just glue feathers there." [​IMG]

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

L&Schickens :

We would be showing for fun, for now. He is only 5 and I don't know if he will ever want to be competitive with poultry or not, but I let him know his little "Black Velvet" might not win any ribbons because of his bald spot. Loren said "We will just glue feathers there." [​IMG]

when they are that young it doesn't matter if the bird is TOP quality or not. Just make sure its purebred and you'll be fine.

When the kids are that young, the emphasis is on showmanship, and commitment to raising the bird.

If its for fun, enter him in some county shows! Who cares if you've got "Soup Quality" birds or not... After all, you don't really know if its true Show Quality or not until it wins right...​

7. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Well his tail seems quite thin, and he looks like he may need another few months before looking fully mature, but you might as well show him at fairs or something. Or he'd probably make a great showmanship bird!

8. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    LOVE the Pictures!!!

9. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Well, I don't think we will be doing any shows this year. I just found out my husband might be going to Iraq. [​IMG] We will not know until some time next month, I guess. They are pressing the "Volunteer or else" card on him. He will be gone for 18 months if he is selected to go. I have been an Army wife for 16 years but at the same time, never had to deal with him leaving for a long time or going over seas.
    I have some thinking to do I guess.
    I am glad I have my son and our chickens to make my life full of surprises and keep me occupied.

I guess we will see how he looks, as well as some others I have, next year. [​IMG] Thanks for the coments.

10. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    first flaw I see is the comb, it should be a single comb, the comb should be evenly serrated with 5 distinct points. This birds comb, depending on the judge could either be a point deduction or a disqualification.

Also , are you sure this is a rooster, at 5 months, I should see more hackle feather and saddle feathers.

Before I brought the bird to a show , I would find out if they will disquailfy or just take a point away for the comb.

While this bird may not win best of show , the experience of showing a bird, as long as it wont be disqualified , is great.

Many shows also have contests where children answer questions about their birds and are judged on how they handle the birds. Your son could participate in this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by