1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

show silkies( opinions needed please)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by realsis, Nov 6, 2013.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I have a opportunity to purchse a show quality 3 to 4 month old female. However she is quite expensive. I've used this breeder before but they want 125.00 for her. Is this a reasonable price for a show quality sexed silkie around 3 to 4 months old?? It seems quite high to me.. this cost does not include the 85 dollar shipping which I know is a unreasonable amount for shipping. I just got babies sent 1000 miles for 60 dollars. When I've shipped birds myself it only costs 20 dollars. I suppose they include the cost of the box but that's only 15.00. So the real cost to ship a bird should be 35.00. why do they charge so much over the price? I was wanting some opinions on the cost of this bird. Do you find that price high or Is that about right for a show quality bird?? What do you think?? I personally find the price very high but my birds are not show quality. So what do you think?? Is it too high or does show quality sell for about that cost. I was told by the breeder she was higher cost because she was DNA sex tested.
    However I just DNA tested my babies and it was
    ONLY ten dollars per bird. !! Sound to me this
    particular breeder is just simply over pricing
    EveryThing!! What do think??all opinions welcome

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Well, I would want verification of the DNA testing, along with a guarantee of gender. Cost depends on where and what DNA method is used. I've heard $15 and $35, but really have not tried to narrow down DNA testing...just not interested Shipping boxes are about $15 PLUS their shipping cost. The mail cost varies depending on origination and destination zip codes. I've paid $65 relatively recently.

As to whether a pullet is worth $125? Maybe...it is really difficult to assess without a photo,

3. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    To me I believe you getting ripped off. I know a show bird costs more but that seems a bit high to me for such a popular breed. I personally would say no thanks and find a different breeder who has SQ birds for less. I'm getting a SQ Brahma for less than that and mines going to be a year old.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  4. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes thank you both I agree its too much and for her age she's not grown yet so there is not a way to positively call her a show quality. even if she WAS show quality I find 125.00 plus 85.00 outrageous!! I do believe this particular breeder is very much over priced. I wanted to check and get other opinions to make certain that's not what show quality birds go for. She is Only 3 to4 months old. !!! How can they possibly charge that much for her?? Just because she has been DNA tested as a female?? That just does not make any since to me. even if they used the most expensive lab that's only about 30.00 dollars. Making the bird cost 95.00 dollars! That's still not including their 85 dollars in shipping. To purchase this bird and ship her the total cost would be 210.00 that's two hundred and ten dollars for one 3 to4 month old silkie female!! 210.00 is utterly ridicoulas!!! Don't you think so??

5. QueenofKings

QueenofKings Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    United States
    It is ridiculous. Move on to another breeder, sounds like they are tacking on fees for just about everything. It isn't a good deal, especially since the pullet hasn't matured and like you said, you're not even sure if they are SQ or not.

6. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes I agree!! I wish them luck selling a 3 to4 month old for a total of 210.00. that's just simply outrageous. And people who show know you can't really judge a babys quality until they have grown out because they can change easily. They can mudd up when they get adult feathers and colors come in.so I can't justify that kind of money on a baby. My goodness she must not really want to sell this bird!! Otherwise she would have gave it a more reasonable price. And DNA testing does NOT justify that much money. She must think I'm stupid or something!! Or think I don't know what's going on.i just Dna sexed my babies at ten dollars a chick. She is defiently taking advantage of folks who don't know any better. Glad I'm not one of those folks.i brought to their attention the lab fees of testing my chicks and she said she uses a "better" lab. Hummmm.. She was STILL trying to justify the ridicoulas price!! Why is it so darn difficult to find a trustworthy breeder here where I live in California!!! I had a wonderful breeder before but sadly her flock caught Mareks disease and she is no longer selling right now.i need to find a good honest breeder. Someone I can trust! Do you know of anyone close to California??

7. QueenofKings

QueenofKings Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    United States
    I would try asking around in the Fallbrook or Bonsall area. That's where I've gotten the eggs for my Silkie crosses. I doubt you'll find anything of SQ around here tho, most people, I've found, use Silkies for broodies or pets.

8. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    realsis: Do you know where she got her DNA tested for only $10? Cheapest I can find is $12.

9. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    An estimated $85 for shipping and box is not unreasonable depending how far away the breeder is. As Sonoran stated the shipping cost varies depending on origin and destination zip codes. For birds I've sent out the shipping cost has been as low as $55 for nearby states up to $175 for some going to the west coast. That's just the shipping, not the box.

As for whether or not a pullet is worth $125, is she a rare color? Have you seen pictures?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by