Show Silkies Still laying!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by feather leg farms, Dec 14, 2010.

1. feather leg farms

feather leg farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    Hey,

How many of our show silkies are still laying? Mine sure are, even in 10-20 degree temps!!

Here are the HENS in the pen: Jack Ferguson/Tina Cline/Summertown Silkies Stock
    The DAD's pics won't load!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

My girls are still laying. [​IMG] I do keep lights in the pens, though. I have doors that slide down, and without lights in the pen I can't tell if anybody is halfway in or out of the door. Learned that the hard way.

3. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I haven't shown mine YET...but some were shown before I bought them and I am still getting eggs from my Lavender pen! Two of the hens were shown before coming to me and at least one of them is still laying and I haven't even been leaving the lights on!

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I find this interesting trend that during the winter, like now, if there are ANY hatching eggs for sale. . . It's a bunch of good quality Silkies. [​IMG] They're layin' machines, eh?

Nice Silkies, btw.

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

My Girlies are still laying. One actually laid her first a few days ago, when temps were in the 20s. I thought she'd save her first egg until the spring, but she wanted to share. [​IMG] And this one actually uses the nesting box!!!!!! The others just pick any spot (usually the back where I can't reach) and plop and egg out.

6. SundownWaterfowl

I hope my girls keep laying good. I plan to start setting eggs around the 3rd weekend in January. Plan to get all the buff chicks I need hatched out by spring so I can focus on the whites and bbs.

7. feather leg farms

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    We have two Brinsea Octagon 20's full of White silkies. Some are bbs but they haven't been fertile. My whites are ferguson,Mihalik,Tina Cline,Summertown and bobbi porto. Thank you btw.
    Here is my 3month old Jack Ferguson pullett
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  8. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Wow! She is gorgeous! [​IMG]

9. feather leg farms

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    Thank you....She's only 3mts too....I was shocked when I saw her head!!!! I see you raise Lav? Do you ever ship adults in spring?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  10. SundownWaterfowl

[​IMG] She's beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by