Show tomorrow- to wash, or not to wash?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickNjake, Jul 24, 2009.

1. chickNjake

chickNjake Songster

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    I've been at 4-H Round Up all week (it was awesome by the way!!! [​IMG]) and got home thirty minutes ago. Tomorrow at 8:00 am I have a 4-H chick chain show and sale that I'll be in, and I wondering if it would be better to wash the 6 birds now or not wash them.

I usually wash my birds 2-3 days prior to allow them to fully dry and get their oils back. I wash once in Dawn dish washing soap, then flea and tick shampoo, rinse with vinegar, then a final rinse. This usually does very well for me.

They're not dirty, but they are chickens, so they have the occasional dirty vent feather, breast feather and so on.

If I did wash them, would I do it the same as I usually do?

So, to wash or not to wash; that is the question. [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Songster

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Can you just maybe do some spot cleaning? I usually do min 2 days before a show also, but always have to touch them up before a show. If you can spot clean them without having to do the whole bird(especially with 6 the night before) that would be better..[​IMG]

3. chickNjake

chickNjake Songster

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    Ok, I was able to spot clean 4 and I just gave 2 a full bath. I think they'll dry out to be nice, if not I can just use two others that aren't my first choices. [​IMG]

I'm pretty excited, wish me luck!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Songster

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    Be ssure to let us know how the show went...

Good luck

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Good luck at the show! The general rule is to wash them two or three days prior to the show so the oils can get back into the feathers. At least, that's what I've read.

6. chickNjake

chickNjake Songster

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    I got 5th place! [​IMG]
    I was pretty pleased considering one was still a little wet and one had down coming through the feathers because she hadn't preened them enough, so over all it was a good show! [​IMG]
    Thanks so much!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: