show us your Day Tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tdgill, May 11, 2009.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

new term for me. I was looking for portable runs....

2. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I will probably get flack for posting my dog pen as a "day tractor."

My urban yard is completely fenced with a 6 foot block wall and 6 foot gates so stray dogs are not an issue. My only worry is hawks over head and that is why I use bird netting on top. I never leave the hens in it over night. They go back into the coop at night because we have raccoons around. I would not recommend this for open yards or overnight accommodation.

We are not allowed to free range in my city so this is my solution to get them access to most parts of the backyard the tractor cannot fit. I use my tractor occasionally for a couple of hens, but I really prefer the puppy dog exercise yard because it fits in the oddly shaped parts of my garden and in the pathways of the veggie beds. It folds up really small and I store it when not in use.

[​IMG]
    Dog pen

[​IMG]
    I adjust it to fit lots of spaces and uses.

[​IMG]
    Tractor

3. tdgill

i used to have a child's foldable playpen that had no bottom, that would conform to different areas. Have to dig it out and give it a try!

4. GardeNerd

Quote:That is what my neighbor across the street uses. Hers has eight panels and is called a SuperYard.

She puts a full sheet of plywood on top to keep the hawks out and give the pullets shade since she doesn't have much.

5. GardeNerd

I found a couple of my pictures with her play pen in the back ground.

[​IMG]

Here is her speckled sussex pullet perched on the edge. You can just see a little of the plywood top. She just lifts it and sets it off to the side when she isn't using the pen.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  6. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Heres mine.

[​IMG]

7. GardeNerd

Quote:I like your tractor, and I noticed it matches your coop. Very nice!

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  8. tdgill

GardeNerd,
    Yep! thats the same playpen I have.

9. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    that will work just fine for them to be in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by