show vs pet/show girls

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kelliepulido, May 14, 2008.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    What is the difference? I assume it is the same as in showing dogs for conformation.Breeding to the standard etc. And how about show girls do you only get one breeding the nn to a silkie or can you get show girls by breeding 2 show girls together? Thanks Kellie

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Show vs. pet showgirls can have many things seperating them. Some of the things that could make a bird pet quality could be as simple as only having 4 toes on one foot, red necks/skin, smaller crest, wrong comb, poor leg feathering, odd tail, color flaws, or some others.
    I am pretty sure it takes around 4 breedings to make them. The silkie gene is recessive so the first generation will be smooth feathered, 5 toes, feathered feet, small crest, maybe beard/muffs. You then keep breeding back to silkies to get better type and the correct silkie feathering. A showgirl is simply a naked necked silkie.

3. greentree

greentree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    What kind of show would you show a showgirl in?

Nancy

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    You could show a showgirl in any poultry show. It would be entered as an AOV silkie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by