Show worthy or not?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by aayto1, Nov 21, 2013.

1. aayto1

aayto1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2013
    Queensland Australia
    I have a few pure bred silver spangle hamburg chickens which are considered an extremely rare breed in QLD Australia. I had to travel a fair way to piece together the puzzle of getting a little flock of chickens of this breed. Its taken me about a 2 years. I was wanting the opinion of others as to whether they were worth showing or not. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    It's hard to meaningfully evaluate a chicken from a picture. Much is learned about the bird once it's in your hand. However, from what I can see, they don't look bad at all. I've certainly seen worse in shows in the US.
    That said, realize I'm responding as an American Judge who isn't at all familiar with the Standard used in Australia.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I personally have no idea on this breed, but just wanted to say if you're passionate about this breed, and the birds don't have any obvious DQs, then take them. Use it as a learning opportunity to talk to the judge and other exhibitors, compare your birds to other birds there and see where you need to improve. When you're starting out, shows should be about educating yourself, not the actual competition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by