Show your brooders- Look at mine*pic heavy*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CHIC, Oct 16, 2009.

1. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    DH built this for me. He did such a great job. I just had him split it in half a few days ago for the new babies. I hated doing that because there was so much space for my girls before. It's about 4 foot across each way! Tell me what you think, and I wanna see yours too. If anyone is wandering, that is a sand box in there. They love it, they scratch around in it and take dust baths, it's too cute.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. that_crazy_lady

that_crazy_lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    oh I like it. we always used rubbermade tubs, but I never did like that.

right now I have a 5x2 frame made of 2x4s, with 1x1 wire over it. it's about 14'' tall. I just set the lamp now on the wire top at one end and they can get right up under it if they need.
    my chicks are older now and are running the coop with my EE hen, I pen them up in the brooder at night though. I even put a little roost in it under the heat side.
    it stays in the corner of my coop

3. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Yeah, I wasn't loving the thought of the rubbermaids either. And DH is so great at building stuff I love to put him to work. Oh, And did I mention it was free? It was made out of recycled wood and wire. The only thing we paid for was the hinges- like 2 dollars or something. We have a great nonprofit warehouse full of anything you could ever need for building renovating etc. Contractors donate their left over materials and individuals do the same. Some things are used but it is like the best place ever. Everything is super cheap and the proceeds go to Habitat for Humanity. It's called the Habitat Store. So its great for any projects around the house and coop etc. Anybody else have a place like that to go? It is very fortunate if you do.

4. dlfridie

dlfridie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    My six chicks stayed in here for 6 weeks in the house.
    It's 2 boxes taped together and a tunnel between them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    I like that...very inventive. You should post your own post on how you did that for others to see. I think it was a great idea! I would have ended up using the rubbermaid had I not had DH.

6. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    kiddie pool on my front porch. We cut hardware cloth to fit snugly and fastened it with zipties. I have 31 broilers in it right now. If it is particularly windy/cold I will drape a blanket on the cloth to block out some of the wind.
    [​IMG]

7. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    might I suggest you change the newspaper to paper towelling or something with a bit more traction? Better for their leg development.

8. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    I don't have a problem with that so far I don't think, I change the paper twice a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by