Shower liners

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cary 1973, Oct 5, 2012.

1. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

The front of my coop center is hard wire so for winter I want to put something up that still lets the sun in but not the drafts so I was thinking of putting up clear shower curtains over the doors and front wire window leaving the top 3 or 4 inch uncovered for more ventilation. I also have ventilation with a window and then 2 small ventilation on the roof. My question is the coop gets morning sun so is there any risk of the vinyl shower curtain with fumes or them pecking it what do you think.

[​IMG]
    the front of the coop double doors and front opening (the small run is no longer they now have this whole yard area for there run but even then they are free ranging from 7am till they put them selfs to bed.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Sounds like an excellent idea to me!

~ Aspen

3. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Sounds like an awesome idea. If it's located in a position where it gets the suns rays part of the day you can count on getting some extra warmth! You have me thinking now about using it around our run area. If it was totally sealed it would work very much as a green house and extra warm air might find it's way into the coop area as well.

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I would leave it as it is. The coop looks like it is in an area where it doesn't get blasted by high winds. You don't really have severe cold weather in LasVegas. Check out the pic below, the front is wide open year round.
    Jack

[​IMG]

5. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    JackE, I really do like the style and design of your coop. I was looking on your profile in hopes of finding more images of it. I didn't see any. [​IMG] I really wanted to see how it looks on the inside as well. We are going to add another coop which will be against a storage building and I'm thinking the style will work well.

6. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

Its sarounded by 3 6 foot brick walls and house on the other. The reason I'm want to cover front Cu's everyone talks about drafts killing the chickens

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Your coop appears to be facing north. If so, definitely cover it in the winter like you plan to. The open designs such as the one above is very good but it's designed to do what it does, is very deep, and faces south if it's built right. Cold winter winds come from the north and west; cooling summer breezes from the east and south.

8. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana

Your in Vegas :) you do not have killing cold. Drafts are more of a problem for those of us who live in the far north. Drafts can be a problem for young chicks too. Once your Vegas birds are older they can handle weather better. I would cover your coop because of the temperature extremes. The chickens will still need plenty of air during the day but at night, not every night, they could be closed up more than what they are now - on the cold nights. If it is 80, 70, or 60 at night they will be just fine as they are but when it gets closer to 30 or raining you will want some way to protect them better.

9. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    Btw, I have some birds that would like to winter in Vegas. They want to join the snow birds. :lau

10. chicknlove

chicknlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Oregon
    I've been to Vegas in the winter and it does get annoyingly windy, if I were a chicken I'd appreciate the draft protection. [​IMG] Plenty of ventalation and shade at the smae time, don't want to cook em in the sun either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by