Showgirl chick small and seemingly distressed

Jilara

Songster
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Bay Area, CA
It's part of the clutch of chicks I hatched from fertilized eggs. The other six, at 2 1/2 weeks, are bulking up and doing fine. This baby started showing up as undersized as of last week, and chirps a lot. Unless it's being held, it's chirping most the time, which I take as a sign of distress.

The chicks were brooded by hens and go into the run to forage, now. It trails behind the others and has a more huddled posture. Often, it's separate from the main bulk of the chicks and seems to be breathing through its mouth a lot of the time. After watching this in chillier temperatures, and feeling there was something wrong, I took it inside. It's now in the bathtub with a heating pad, food, and water.

It has stopped the incessant chirping, but still isn't terribly active. It seems to be eating, drinking, and pooping normally. I put a little sugar and apple cider vinegar in the water, and am hoping to either have it recover or see if there is something more I can do, maybe learn something from you folks. Or wait for death, since I really don't have the foggiest idea of what's wrong. The warmth seems to help, though.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

Well, after a night with the heating pad in the bathtub, it's not sounding so distressed. The chirps have a slightly different quality, more trill-y, like the others make. I think I'll try raising Cheeper in the bathtub for a while and see if it helps. This guy is a lot smaller than the rest, and might have been getting crowded out from under mama by the bigger chicks. Still not exactly lively. I could lose it, and I hate losing a Showgirl chick, but I want to at least give this guy a fighting chance.

I lost a showgirl chick, pretty much the same symptoms. I think some just fail to thrive. I have another white Silkie out of the same flock that is extremely small and the feathering is not right. She is still alive, but she is not growing.

I hope someone has an answer.

Back
Top Bottom