Showgirl chicks with weird growth/spots on head PICS Included

homeschoolchick

Songster
12 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Mechanicsville, MD
So, I noticed a red spot on the back of one of the showgirls head. I thought maybe someone pecked her. It was a tiny red spot. Then after a few days the spot was getting larger only the red spot was still there, but the larger area looked like the skin was thickening around it. I didn't think much of it...was thinking it was the healing process. Today I noticed the "thicker skin" was in a larger area. I started checking the other chicks, and one other has the same tiny red spots on it's head, but there are several and no "thickening skin". Neither one of them is acting like anything is wrong, as of yet. The one with the thick skin does scratch it's head often though.

They have not been outside, and they have a little box of sand to play in that came from outside. The brooder had chicks in it before them, that had been in and out before I permanently put them outside. I am using an ecoglow, and they are on medicated chick feed. I am going to give them some save a chick, and I put neosporin on the spot on their necks/heads.

First two pics are from the chick that had the spot at first and now has the thick skin that is spreading. The last pic is of a new chick that has the start of the red bumps. It was hard to get clear photos. I took many and these are the best.

Last edited:
Could they be burning there bear necks on the ecoglow? or maybe the sand is irritating their skin?
hu.gif

Thank you two for responding ! :)

The ecoglow can't burn them, but the sand I guess could irritate their bare necks if they rubbed their heads too much????

I sure hope someone has had this problem before and can tell me what is going on or at least that this will heal and go away with out any complications!

Back
Top Bottom