Showgirl cross silkie

Linda1218

Songster
Oct 7, 2019
Anyone cross a showgirl rooster with a silkie hen ? What would it come out and what would it look like ? I’m think of breeding these 2 .

Attachments

• 906A4DCA-FE9D-49CF-BB56-8DD293D4CD5B.jpeg
    906A4DCA-FE9D-49CF-BB56-8DD293D4CD5B.jpeg
    880.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 140CCF29-967E-47CB-A620-A52409BF6ED5.jpeg
    140CCF29-967E-47CB-A620-A52409BF6ED5.jpeg
    623.5 KB · Views: 35
1. The color of chicks would depend on (A) if the white one is dominant white or recessive white and (B) what's hidden underneath the white (think of white in chickens as sort of pouring white paint on top of a regular one! they still have genetics for color, but the white covers it all up)

2. The Naked Neck gene is Dominant. I can't quite see your Showgirl (I think yours is a bowtie?) but theres two expressions of the naked neck gene-

In the 'homozygous form' (two naked neck genes- NN) the neck is considered 'clean'
clean.jpg

In the 'heterozygous form' (one naked neck gene - Nn) the neck has a 'bowtie'
bowtie.jpg

Clean x Clean = 100% Clean
Bowtie x Bowtie = 25% Clean, 50% Bowtie, 25% Feathered Neck
Clean x Bowtie = 50% Clean, 50% Bowtie

Clean x Feathered Neck = 100% Bowties
Bowtie x Feathered Neck = 50% Bowties, 50% Feathered Neck

---

I'm pretty sure you'd get 50% bowtie chicks, 50% feathered neck chicks, and either some white chicks or some colored ones (most likely black and blue, maybe splash)

1. The color of chicks would depend on (A) if the white one is dominant white or recessive white and (B) what's hidden underneath the white (think of white in chickens as sort of pouring white paint on top of a regular one! they still have genetics for color, but the white covers it all up)

2. The Naked Neck gene is Dominant. I can't quite see your Showgirl (I think yours is a bowtie?) but theres two expressions of the naked neck gene-

In the 'homozygous form' (two naked neck genes- NN) the neck is considered 'clean'
View attachment 2574383

In the 'heterozygous form' (one naked neck gene - Nn) the neck has a 'bowtie'
View attachment 2574384

Clean x Clean = 100% Clean
Bowtie x Bowtie = 25% Clean, 50% Bowtie, 25% Feathered Neck
Clean x Bowtie = 50% Clean, 50% Bowtie

Clean x Feathered Neck = 100% Bowties
Bowtie x Feathered Neck = 50% Bowties, 50% Feathered Neck

---

I'm pretty sure you'd get 50% bowtie chicks, 50% feathered neck chicks, and either some white chicks or some colored ones (most likely black and blue, maybe splash)

Thanks for the information highly appreciated. I’m so excited to hatch there chicks now . ..

Attachments

• A2F8C3FC-F9BF-49F3-8D38-B767D477F4F5.jpeg
    A2F8C3FC-F9BF-49F3-8D38-B767D477F4F5.jpeg
    637.4 KB · Views: 45
Anyone cross a showgirl rooster with a silkie hen ? What would it come out and what would it look like ? I’m think of breeding these 2 .
You know showgirls are crosses of turkens and silkies, right? Most people then breed showgirls to silkies because it makes for nicer looking offspring. Showgirl to showgirl can lead to too naked of an offspring. I have showgirls and silkies.

You know showgirls are crosses of turkens and silkies, right? Most people then breed showgirls to silkies because it makes for nicer looking offspring. Showgirl to showgirl can lead to too naked of an offspring. I have showgirls and silkies.
Just for clarification for the OP, showgirls are not crosses. They are a separate breed. They were initially crossed with turken, but have bred over generations and are now a separate breed. You probably know that, but I just wanted to clarify. :)

Back
Top Bottom