1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Showgirl Experts! HELP! (PICS)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CarriBrown, Feb 19, 2008.

1. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

This is Giblet, who was hatched in November. Giblet's two hatch mates are confirmed roos. [​IMG]
    Anyone have a guess as to what Giblet is? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excuse Drumstick's "zombie-roo" eye!

[​IMG]

2. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    I THINK it's a girl...The first picture where the crest is nice and round makes me say girl.
    How does she look in comparison to her hatch mates? Any pics of them to share? [​IMG]

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I don't have hatch mates. [​IMG] Noodle was hatched and abandoned by a first time broody, so I picked up Drumstick and Giblet as babies to put with Noodle.
    I hope Giblet is a girl!!! [​IMG] Drumstick and Noodle are both crowing, and have been since the end of December. So, I'm hoping Giblet hasn't started because SHE is a SHE!

4. Animal123Animal

Animal123Animal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Lake Mathews Calif.
    Hello
    And yes I do Lurk around here also. And I would say yes, It's a little girl and a good looker to boot. I have her tiwn and drumsticks also. Talk to you soon Dennis

5. Hi!
    I opened this thread and said to myself " Wow, those birds look JUST LIKE my Odd Birds".
    Lol!
    I agree, she's a she. I have a beautiful blue girl that looks almost identical (and a roo that looks like the barred one).

[​IMG]
    Lisa

6. keystonebantams

keystonebantams Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    First off that is NOT A SHOWGIRL. maybe some kind of showgirl cross but definitely not a showgirl.

I also think it is a girl.

mike

7. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    looks like a showGIRL to me! [​IMG]

8. keystonebantams

keystonebantams Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    Quote:did you notice the lack of silkie feathering? showgirls are silkies with the nacked neck gene, without silkie feathering it can't be anything but a cross. a showgirl is not a cross it is a breed. showgirls breed true and do not throw normal feathered birds, I should know I have 20+ showgirls and have hatched many of thier eggs and I have never had one throw a normal feathered chick.

mike

9. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Quote:did you notice the lack of silkie feathering? showgirls are silkies with the nacked neck gene, without silkie feathering it can't be anything but a cross. a showgirl is not a cross it is a breed. showgirls breed true and do not throw normal feathered birds, I should know I have 20+ showgirls and have hatched many of thier eggs and I have never had one throw a normal feathered chick.

mike

so, its still adorable! [​IMG]

10. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Keystone bantams,

This is probably an F1 bird. It takes awhile for them to breed true, but originally they were just mixes of turkens and silkies. Typically, the silkie gene does not show up in F1 birds. You have to breed them BACK to a silkie.

Looks like a girl to me! Very cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by