Showgirl going broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mylied, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Mylied

Mylied Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    So, I've got this showgirl that just started laying a couple weeks ago. There's a couple of silkies in there that may or may not be laying. The showgirl gathered up a pile of eggs, since I didn't bother to take them out for a few days and was sitting on them. I put the food in and she got off them. Then I didn't see her on them again until later on that night. She slept on them. Next day she was off and on them. It's been going on maybe 3 days. None of them are developing because she hasn't made up her mind on what she wants to do. Is this normal for a recent layer? I don't need the eggs for anything right now, so I don't mind leaving them in with her, but it is becoming quite the pile. Lol. Or should I take them all out and just make her wait a bit until she really goes broody. She does follow me around and keep an eye on me if I'm messing with them.

This is just for my education. I haven't let a broody hatch eggs before since my big girls I have now don't go broody and these other girls that will go broody are young.

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Do you want her to go broody?

3. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I don't mind either way. Just was wondering about the getting off and on the eggs, instead of parking her butt their like a normal broody.

4. Flock Master64

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    None of my hens have ever been broody so I really don't know

5. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I've had hens go broody but not with fertile eggs. They wouldn't moved unless I moved them. But I didn't really notice until they were at that stage.

6. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    [​IMG]

She decided to finally go full broody. She's been setting for real since Monday.

7. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    [​IMG]

So much for my hen being broody. A hawk got trapped in the pen and scared her off the nest. I took the eggs inside and put them in an incubator. If she decides to set again before they hatch, I'll give them back. I'd rather not raise them, but I will if I need to. Sadly, the hawk ate on one of my silkies before realizing it was stuck. None of the other three birds were hurt. We did free the hawk. I think it'll be too traumatized to come back. Plus I'm going to cover the holes up top with chicken wire. Didn't think a hawk would try to fly in that way. :p

8. Flock Master64

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish

That sucks you lost one :/ you have a beautiful set up by the way

9. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia

Thank you. I thought it would be funny if the showgirls had an old timey saloon as their house. It isn't quite complete since I ran out of time before they had to move in, but I will get it done eventually. I guess I don't have a very good picture of it, but here's the best I got.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by