showgirl question?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by raiderbabe239, Sep 14, 2009.

1. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    okay so today i took my RIR roo to a local guy called the chicken man who raises chickens and has a very good reputation around sw forida hes even been on the news a few times and hes related to the owners of ideal hatchery, well i got 2 hens from him 1 buff orp about 2 months old and one pretty white hen he said was a showgirl but she doesnt have a naked neck, is that possible? shes got the black skin and poofy head of a silkie but shes got normal feathers and feathers on her neck, ill get pics tommorrow in the daylight but i was just wondering if the guy knew what he was talking about. he called her a "freak" showgirl =/ i dont care either way i think shes pretty just curious

2. raiderbabe239

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    bump?

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    A showgirl bred to a showgirl can produce a regular silkie, but they are just called silkies like the rest. A showgirl needs to have a naked neck with or without a bowtie.

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    A "showgirl" with a feathered neck like a normal silkie isn't a showgirl at all, it is a silkie. If is smooth feathered, it is a mix. The gene for silkie feathering is recessive, so an f1 offspring from a silkie crossed with another bird not carrying the silkie gene will be smooth feathered, het for silkie feathering.

5. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    it should be just a silkie but i've never had a showgirl hatch with anything but silkie feathering. i'd assume it is a very low generation one since it could have the regular feathering from the turken. usually F1-F6 generations u still see turken features, it doesn't mean it is a cross per say just not bred back to a silkie enough to filter the turken genes ya want out. if it doesn't show the full naked neck or naked neck with the bowtie patch on chest it is not called a showgirl and will not produce showgirl offspring.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I am thinking someone else snuck into the silkie/showgirl pen [​IMG]

7. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    What is a showgirl? Anyone care to post a pic?

8. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    showgirl is a naked necked silkie. they can either have a completly naked neck, or have a tuft on it (just like turkens). Here are a couple of my showgirls, with tufts or "bowties"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Those are funny in an adorable way!!! [​IMG] Very cute!

Are they a cross between silkies and turkens/other, or is it a mutation of pure silkies?

10. raiderbabe239

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    Yeahh see thats a showgirl but mine just does not look like a showgirl to me the guy went on and on yah yah yah she show gurl she good hen preety she mix wit silkie and ugly neked neck cheeken in his little hispanic accent lol finally i was just like okay buddy its a showgirl can i have my chicken so i can leave haha

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i like her though at least shes pretty [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by