1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Showgirl Question?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Poultry Run Farm, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Poultry Run Farm

Poultry Run Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Maine
    My Daughter really likes the Showgirls. Have not been able to find any in Buff (her favorite Silkie color). She has white showgirls, how awful would the buff color be if you use a white? Her buffs are very nice, but some do tend the be lighter colored. What do you guys think??

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    White is not a dilution gene; chances are that it will severly mess up buff colouration and likely add pattern/smut to the plumage. Black or blue would be a better choice--at least you will know WHAT you are adding--white is an OFFSWITCH that turns OFF any colour or pattern genes present in the bird. Since they are turned OFF, you do not know that they are or are not present and cannot select for or against them. Thus, every white is genetically different except for carryong two copies of recessive white.

Have you checked eggbid or any of the silkie yahoo groups (and I think there may be a showgirl yahoo group, too) to find a buff showgirl breeder?

3. Poultry Run Farm

Poultry Run Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:Thanks for the info. Figured that would cause a problem.

Eggbid there have been eggs, but we have had some much problems shipping eggs. We have never even seen a buff showgirl anywhere. If anyone hears of any please let us know. Thanks [​IMG]

4. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    Spring is coming quickly, I'm sure you'll find her some!

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Google "buff showgirl" The first several pages at least are showgirl chickens (as compared with the huma kind [​IMG] ). Bren Gambill (Texas) and Sheryl Butler (Washington state) have them--contact them to see about getting birds. I do agree on eggs--not worth the expense and effort to even try--a reason that I will not even consider selling eggs.

6. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    You can also send a PM to therealsilkiechick or go to her website and send her an email. She has showgirls and she has buff. I have hatched out her eggs, very very nice birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by