Showgirl question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 4boysmom, Apr 21, 2008.

1. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Should showgirls follow the same standards as the silkies?
    ie...# of toes, etc?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'm not sure but someone else may be able to answer. I don't know if they are a official bred yet either.

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    They're not in the standard yet, but they have the basic requirements of a silkie (dark skin, 5 toes, foot feathering to middle toe, etc), except that it has a nacked neck. They can also be shown in the same colors as a silkie, as well as AOV colors.

Do you have any showgirls?

Edited to add: Showgirls would be entered as AOV silkies.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  4. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    ok....I figure I'll take over this thread rather than start a new one.... so 4 toes = auto cull, correct? what about toes w/a little pink on them?
    And, if there isn't a breed standard yet, I guess it's hard to answer this one, but is there a preference for the 'bowties'?
    I ordered silkie eggs and so far have 2 silkies & 9 showgirls...so I have quite a bit of learning [​IMG]

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Yes, cull the ones with 4 toes. The chicks with pink on their toes can sometimes grow out of it, but it can also be bred out, so if it's a good bird, keep it. If a NN has a "bowtie" it just means that the bird is heterozygous for the NN gene, and 50% of the babies will be NN. If it doesn't have the "bowtie", the bird is homozygous for the NN gene and 100% of the offspring will be NN.

Good luck with your babies!

6. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Thanks everyone - my cute little white one only has 4 toes, but since I'm not breeding right now, we will probably keep "her".

7. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Thanks for the response. I will have to post pix soon & ask for opinions as I do plan to breed them. I have 12-13 of them, 2 of which are silkies, the rest are showgirls. The majority of them have 5 toes, and there are some odd colors too, so I'll try & find homes for them.
    Thanks,
    Kristi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by