Showgirl roos or pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Buns, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Buns

Buns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    What sex?
    Bird 1 - he already crows so he is more for comparison purposes than anything else. Haven't seen him breed the other bird, and have not heard him call the other bird for treats.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bird 2 - not yet crowing, *hoping* is a pullet. This bird is about 25% smaller than the first one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help! [​IMG]

2. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    I have absolutely NO idea, but OH MY GOODNESS those are the CUTEST birds I have ever seen! Just had to let you know! [​IMG]

3. Buns

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    Quote:Awww, thank you so much! They are really huggable and soft, especially the smaller one. [​IMG]

4. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Not at all good with showgirls, but since the first one is a roo and the second has bigger wattles and comb than the first, they're both roos.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  5. silkie_sue

silkie_sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Hi Buns,
    I have Showgirls and my hens have hardly no comb at all. But the second kind of has hen features. Wow I'm befuddled. How old are they?

Suz

6. Buns

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    Quote:I'm thinking about five months. Roo just crowed for the first time like 2 weeks ago. When the roo developed his comb it was always dark looking. I noticed that the second bird had a very red comb and was hoping it meant she was a she and she was getting ready to lay an egg.

Are your showgirl roos obviously larger than the hens? The second bird in the photos is smaller, more demure and docile like a pullet. I guess it could just be a roo submissive to the larger roo since they are penned together.

If they are boys I am sure going to be looking for a couple of pullets! Two roos does me absolutely no good at all. [​IMG]

7. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Most of my hens pretty much look like the pics except that they all have dark combs and waddles. Of course this all goes with the breeding of the birds.The earlier generations of showgirls tend to show more of the Turken qualities. Bright red combs and waddles,single combed,and light to bright skin.The goal of the Showgirl is to breed for the deep red mulberry comb and waddles and the black skin and of course the toes and feather quality.The higher the generation the better the quality should be.This could be a reason the second one is lighter.Usually by 5-6 mos I have distinquished them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. silkie_sue

Sep 14, 2010
    Keokuk, Iowa
  9. silkie_sue

Sep 14, 2010
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Oh yea! and the roo's are a bit bigger and have a boxy shaped body.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by