showgirl sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kelliepulido, Apr 18, 2009.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Can anyone help with some characteristics of males and females of this bird or better yet post pix

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
  3. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    here you go

this is a cockerel he has a bigger crown and wattles and less on the head
    [​IMG]

and this is a pullet she has a more fuller head
    [​IMG]

4. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Identification of male/female in showgirls are the exact same as your Silkies....hard as heck to do until they around 5 months old (or so), I look for the easiest male trait to identify- the whispy feathers on the back of their heads.

A Picture of Furby and Kirby (at around 7 weeks)
    [​IMG]

Furby again as a 6 month pullet
    [​IMG]

Kirby as a 6 month cockeral
    [​IMG]

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:Do you have pics?

6. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    well I need to posst a pix but I have a 12yr.computer that has nothing to upload pix,but from what everyone has possted I think my little showgirl looks more like a roo.He has not crowed and no roos have showed any interest in him and likewise him showing interest in anyone else althoough I have seen him or her pick and somebody once in awhile.He has bigger wattles and little tufts on the head nothing like the full hair of the pullets pixed.He is so very very cute and soo white and clean never gets dirty.He doesn't go out too much just started to go into the little side pen and he is about 5m hatched out about nov.10maybe

7. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    yes now that i look at the pix on the feather site he looks like a little roo.He looks just like the cockrels that you all showed pix of!! I have 6 showgirl eggs in the bator heres hoping for hens to go with my handsome fellow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by