Showgirls and Naked Necks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by marie_martin, Sep 13, 2007.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    What is the difference between a showgirl and naked neck. I feel dumb asking, and I will probably find the answer on here somewhere, just thought I would ask.

Marie

2. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    If I remember the thread correctly, it is a cross between a Silkie and a Naked Neck. Don't send out the possey if I'm wrong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    so if I got nakend necks, I could breed them to my silkies and get showgirls eventually? For some reason I thought showgirls and naked necks were the same thing, but I was wrong. Thanks.

Marie

4. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I do believe, and I am not an expert by any means, the naked necks are turkens. They have a red skin neck and regular feathers.

Silkies are just that, silkies.

And showgirls are silkies crossed with Turkens, or naked necks, leaving a black skinned naked neck but otherwise silkie looking chicken. They are rather cute, I hatched a chick that a friend had a batch of, only one hatched. She was going to take whatever hatched back but ended up having to move. So I have her and she is darling. A little on the dense side I think, but cute as a bug's ear. [​IMG] She is just a week old now, has the prettiest eyes.

I will post pics later this eve.

Jill

5. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
  6. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    thndrdancr I would love to see a picture of you little silkie/nn cross...it sounds way too cute, and especially at just a week old! [​IMG]

7. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Thanks so much for the info. I appreciate it.

Marie

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Do show girls breed true? I know things like sexlinks wont because you lose alot of the characteristics when you get into the second generations.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  9. A Showgirl is a just a Silkie with a naked neck [​IMG]

Here's one of my little Odd Bird girls that survived the dog attack a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]

If you keep crossing the 'Showgirl' back to a Silkie, you'll get part naked neck and part feather neck.
    The percentage depends on whether the Showgirl is homozygous or heterozygous for Na, lol, I think.
    Yes, they breed true.

Lisa

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  10. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:If the showgirl is homozygous it will breed true. Homozygous showgirls do not have the bowtie at the bottom of their neck usually.(extra clump of feathers instead of a totally naked neck) This type of showgirl will usually carry two genes for the showgirl traits.

Heterozygous will usually have the bowtie or extra feathers at the bottom of their neck. They do not breed true to the showgirl look and can produce both showgirls and more normal silkie looking offspring.

The link that was posted above to my showgirl is a heterozygous chick. It has the bowtie of extra feathers at the bottom of its neck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by