Showgirls??? Special considerations??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nccatnip, Oct 17, 2007.

1. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    I am totally smitten with these birds. To those of you that have them, what special considerations, if any, do they require? Especially of interest is winter- how do you keep them warm?

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Silkies are very cold hardy, just got to make sure they don't get wet when it's cold. From what I know of Turkens they winter fairly well, so I imagine that Showgirls keep themselves warm.

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Showgirls winter as well as any other breed. I have a friend who slipped some showgirl eggs in with a shipment of others. I was concerned the first winter, but after seeing them out in the snow with the rest through an entire winter I am no longer concerned about problems with cold.

4. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    I have 4 new showgirls and I was wondering the same thing. I put vasoline on the polish rooster's wattles in extremely cold weather so he doesn't get frostbite. What about those necked necks on the showgirls? Kidded with the lady that I got them from that I was going to make them polar fleece neck warmers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by