Showgirls

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by horseyjess, Sep 7, 2009.

1. horseyjess

horseyjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Ok I do have to say I have heard of Turkins and Silkies bit this showgirl thing is new to me. I am getting a batch of re chickens from McMurray in the next few days. I was told by my girls 4-H leaders that they probably wont be ready for the fair this year [​IMG]. My daughter has fallen in love with turkens and I have some turkins on they way. Anyhow I have found a Showgirl breeder fairly close by. They are supposibly like 18th generation showgirls. What are your opinions and I am going to go look at them WHAT AM I LOOKING FOR? Being as she likes the turkens I figured I may get her one or two of these I just have no clue about them. Help before I buy some. I guess she has some at 8 weeks 14 weeks and 22 weeks old. Thanks

2. BoJo

BoJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Dawsonville, Ga
    You will fall in love!!! [​IMG] There will be no turning back to regular chickens again!! LOL [​IMG]

BoJo

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Chicks hatched now will not be ready for any shows this year. They would be ready for the spring show season, although since they're hatchery birds, they won't do well in a sanctioned show. If it's just for 4H shows, they can be shown, since they don't go by the APA standard.

You will be looking for the same things in showgirls as you would in silkies. You want a nice full crest and cushion. Good foot feathering. The middle and outer toes must be feathered. You don't want tohem to be overly tall. you want dark eyes, turquoise earlobes, mulberry face, comb, and wattles, and slate to black skin. They should also have 5 toes and a walnut comb. They can be bearded or non bearded, although most showgirls are non beardedbecause of the NN gene. It doesn't matter whether they have the "bowtie" or clean necks although the clean neck beird are often homozygous for NN and the ones with bowties are usually heterozygous. F18 showgirls should be fairly good birds provided they were bred to decent silkies.

4. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Yep give up now! Look for good dark skin, nice full poofs on the head, tail, body, five toes, walnut comb. Most all the silkie show requirements with a naked neck. The neck can be fully naked or have a "bowtie" both are acceptable.

Well there! Julie gave you the real lowdown!

*edited because I'm slow tonight (literally and figuratively)*

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I am really questioning 18th generation. Showgirls haven't been around anywhere near that long. Even if you figure 8 to 10 months between generations. Maybe 12th generation.

6. horseyjess

horseyjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Quote:This is the add that I found when looking..

My girls have been working overtime...Many chicks to choose from...Buy THREE at regular price and get one FREE...My breeding program has been successful in turning out gorgeous show-quality offspring, perfect for the child in 4-H club...These unique chickens make great backyard pets and produce wonderful eggs...Unlike regular chickens, these all have a different look and have varied personalities, and are very entertaining in their antics...With proper care and treats, they get very attached to their owners...The Showgirls are a cross between the Turken naked-neck and the Silkie, creating prolific layers with nice size eggs...Lots of "fluff and stuff, with feathers similar to bunny fur...To get my start on the Showgirls, I paid $120.00 for a dozen+ eggs and have papers to prove it...These are a fairly new breed...Mine are now 18th plus generation, and were purchased from one of the top ten breeders in the country...The silkies are also from a top breeder...From hatch to 4 wks, I charge $8.00 for the silkies, and $15.00 each for two Showgirls, $13.00 each for subsequent two, $12.00 for subsequent two...From 6 wks and older, silkies are $10 to $12 each depending on size and quality...The Showgirl laying hens $30.00 each, depending on quality, and the amount purchased...The more you purchase, the less I charge...If you are just starting a flock, start with the very best...I have all colors...Buff, black, white, splash, and partridge...I also sell hatching eggs for incubator or broody hen...$3.00 each for silkies, and $4.00 each for Showgirls...Also, if perchance I have eggs in the incubator, or under a hen, you can purchase these for your incubator/hen $5.00 each and not have to wait the usual 21 days...Normally, I won't sell my hens unless I need a home for a roo...I have two pair of Showgirls, a hen and a roo, $30.00 for each pair...

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

You'll love them!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] They are just tooooo cute! I've got a white showgirl, and I was told she is probably show quality. I was thinking that maybe I'd like to show her! They are very sweet as well. Have fun!!!

8. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    LilPeeps and insiderart are correct. Also, don't wast your time and just get 1 or 2.....you will wish you got more. like 10. trust me, you will get bitten by the bug. I have 2, but not for lack of trying- there are more on the way! just don't tell my Hubby.............[​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I would be asking for the names of the breeders, and I still very much question 18th generation of a breed as new as showgirls. Perhaps someone remembers which year they were begun, but it is less than 10 years.

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:I agree, get the names of the breeders. You should also ask if they'll send you pics of their birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by