Showgirls

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by horseyjess, Nov 4, 2009.

1. horseyjess

horseyjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    I purchaced another showgirl from the breeder that I got my two adults from, I also got a silkie from her. Question is I think the showgirl is a roo I know USUALLY it would be to young to sex as they are only about 6 or 7 weeks old. My question is the other showgirls I have were almost full grown when I got them so I dont know how they develop. I think the one is a Roo it acts VERY [​IMG] rooish, the thing is the Showgirl roo I have has the walnut comb and was full grown, How is the comb supposed to come in? It looks like his is coming in straight. Again just my luck [​IMG] he will be a Roo with a throwback comb LOL. I figured you cant tell at this age but boy oh boy is he acting like a boy he even trys to "spur" my hand ....I am going to give up [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I felt like I was showing favorates so had to add one of the silkie

[​IMG]

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I'm no expert but I say roo for sure. There are two pictures of my young showgirl pullet for comparison on my webpage if interested. She doesn't have a comb at all.

3. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    So how is he acting rooish other than trying to spur you??

I have some silkies at that approximate age, and would like to try to pick up on the little things...

Thanks!

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Looks like a roo to me with a single comb

5. horseyjess

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Quote:OH My lets see he pecks and pecks at you is aggressive with his silkie friend always trying to play spur it.. Just agressive already he needs to a few time outs!!

6. horseyjess

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Quote:Just my luck I keep hoping that they start that way lol!

7. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    that is def a roo 7 weeks is to young for red combs if its a pullet

8. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:OH My lets see he pecks and pecks at you is aggressive with his silkie friend always trying to play spur it.. Just agressive already he needs to a few time outs!!

Hmmm.....

My little guys will go outside and jump and fly at each other.. is that what you are seeing?

9. horseyjess

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida

Hmmm.....

My little guys will go outside and jump and fly at each other.. is that what you are seeing?

That as well but the little silike is not wanting to play that game!!

10. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    I would say roo, with a single comb (bad to have for breeding). here is a pic of one of mine at that age
    (then and now) definatley a roo. not a great juvenile pic, but you get the jist of it..... hope this helps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by