1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Showgirls

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Frozen Feathers, May 16, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Does anyone breed showgirls?? I want to breed my own, but don't like the idea of paying more then $40 for 6 hatching eggs or over $100 for a pair. If I breed my own (get some turkens to cross w/ my silkies), how many generation would it take before the chicks will hatch out perfecto showgirls?? I'd like to also breed blue ones...am I hoping too high??

2. Frozen Feathers

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Yeah, I think as much of a pain it would be...it'd be cheaper to establish my own line. Even for the roos, it'd be $75 by the time I got him shipped! [​IMG] Imagine all the turken chicks I could get for that! I've already got the nice silkies.

3. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
  4. Frozen Feathers

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Thank you Carole AM! I will defiantly keep my eyes open. I did however just put in for an order of Turkens...
    It's hard to find chickens of any breed where I am. I did find a breeder an hour away who wanted $100 for breeding pair of SG's. Sticker shock!! [​IMG]

I think what I'll do is start crossing for a few years and then add some outside homozygous Showgirls to my flock, I've already started to save my $$. [​IMG] Cheryl does have beautiful birds, actually I happened across her on E-bay selling hatching eggs, (that's how I learned about SGs) and since I don't even dare put a mixed breed chick in my bator yet, I wasn't willing to pay the price!

5. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    You're very welcome. Let me know if you join the Yahoo group-I have pics there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by