Showing a "nervous" bird

resthavenfarms

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
SW Virginia
I have a nice cockeral that I want to show, modern game. Sweet bird, but he's so nervous. Shakes when I enter the pen. The pullets are very sweet and hand-tame. You can touch him but he gets so worked up--any ideas on what I can do for him?

Keep handling him....ALOT. If you can put him into a show cage similar to what he would be in at a show and practice taking him in and out, opening his wings like a judge would do and keep practicing, he will get better. I have had a modern game breeder show me what she uses as a tool for training, little bits of the soft dog food that comes in pouches, she offers that to them and they look forward to that, its like a reward. Offer something that he likes to take his mind off the fear. You said he shakes, like trembling? Unusual, I always have them bounce off the cage walls and try to get away if they are not sure.
If the bird does not like to be grabbed, grab him and before you put him down again keep a hold, if he tries to get away as soon as his feet feel the floor, pick him up, once he stops, attempt to put him down again. Every time he struggles to get away, when he feels the floor, pick him back up. Soon he will not fear being handled. I have seen many birds that when handled, will just step off the persons hands into the cage. It takes patience, but will make the judge take a second look at your bird over another one who is scared stiff or bouncing off the cage walls.

Yes, he's not one to fly up and panic and beat himself up. He will try to run away if you go to reach for him but if you're just in the vicinity of him, he will go to the farthest corner of the pen and tremble. Sort of sad, I've never really seen a chicken do this sort of thing either.

First off give him a bath, that will start getting him to calm down. Also, sometimes handling a bird A LOT can have an exact oppisite effect.
Some birds are just hard to tame. For real tuff ones I will with hold food for the night and then if it wants to eat I will offer it by hand. I will give it food like whole oats but if it wants a treat, like the dog food he has to take it from my hand.

Back
Top Bottom