Showing Chickens at the Orange County CA Fair

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by paigeandclyde, Jun 3, 2011.

1. paigeandclyde

paigeandclyde Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Hi,
    I am considering entering the Orange County Fair with my 2 pullets I recently got. I was wondering if I will be required to auction them off at the end, because I don't want to get rid of them because they're my pets

2. paigeandclyde

Apr 23, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    also... what kind of cages/pens do I need to keep them in and are they judged while in their pens? that could be a general thing

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I haven't been to that fair, but generally, the fair provides the display cages. You will need some sort of carrier to get your birds there and then back home.

The auctions are only for 4-H and FFA. Also, the auctions are for their market class animals. (If you are in 4-H, ask your 4-H leader about the auctions).

4. paigeandclyde

Apr 23, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    ok thanks so much and no i'm not in 4H so i should be good [​IMG]

5. exbiologist

exbiologist Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    Mead, CO
    The fair does not require you to auction off your animals. I showed there for many years, and on occasion, we would make other arrangements. But what are you going to do with your chicken after the fair? If it's a meat breed, it's probably going to die a more horrible death than if you just had it slaughtered. I don't know if any independent youths are allowed to show at that fair though. Usually just 4-H and FFA

6. paigeandclyde

Apr 23, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    independant youths are allowed at this show, and no they're cochins- definatly my pets [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by