Showing chickens?? * lots of pics *

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Crazy4Chicks, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    My dad and sister - sent me some pics of some of thier chickens/roosters and they have some very nice looking birds with great color and temperments , dad would like to show some of them but he is not sure how to get started, he would also like to start a 4H project with rabbits and roosters ( I dont think the roosters will be a good idea since they can be alittle aggressive at times ).
    Any ideas to help them get started would be great - he also said something about showing some of his flock at the fair but not sure what is needed to get that started either.
    here are some pics of a few of his birds --
    these first few pics are of his bantams -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a few more roos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then there's this guy? his/her name is funky chicken I know its a silkie something - dad found him for sell at the flea market in a little cage all by himself and felt sorry for him

[​IMG]

he has alot of pretty hens also but I think he would really like to show off his roosters

thank you for any help you can offer

Julie

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  2. SloCrevs

SloCrevs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    He should contact the local ag burea. Normally they will have a list of poultry fancier clubs in the area. They will also have information on the 4H clubs in the area if he does not have that info already. After that he should contact the Club secretaries, or the names that he's is given. From there, he can join the club, attend shows and whatnot. Through 4H he will have to be fingerprinted, go through a leadership training, and be certified as a leader. That's essentially how you get started. If you have any Q's, feel free to pm me, I've been showing for quite a while and am the leader for my poultry group in 4H.

3. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Local fairs are a good starting place..........the birds he enters will more than likely have to be blood tested before they are allowed to enter competition. Also I noticed most of his birds are old english game's..............some require them to be dubbed.(have no comb) Some local fairs however do not require this. I do not show any OE game's for this reason. I think he's have a lot of fun with the 4-H thing, I've thought about the same thing. Good luck...!

4. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    Thank you for the info I will pass it on. I did not know that with OldEnglish they have to be dubbed I will tell dad and see what he thinks- I might get him to try another breed and keep his Old English to breed or just have as pets even though he has some really nice looking birds.
    I know he would like to do the 4H thing my two nephews would love to help him -it is doing Sean some good he has Autism ( wearing the orange shirt ) and being around the animals helps with his anger issue he sometimes has. The little roo he is holding is he favorite.
    If anyone else has any advice we welcome it all - thank you

Julie

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Usually their combs and wattles are dubbed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by