Showing Chickens Thread

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by I Love Layers, Dec 26, 2016.

1. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    I thought it would be fun to start a thread for those of us who already show chickens and those of you who are maybe just starting or looking to start.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think this thread is a great idea. I've been raising and showing Light Brown Dutch bantams and White Wyandotte bantams for about five years. I've enjoyed meeting other breeders and watching my own home-bred chicks grow into beautiful chickens that have won a few Best and Reserve in Shows, as well as class champions and many firsts/blue ribbons.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what next year will bring in terms of showing, since I haven't been having much luck with my birds lately. I lost one hen to wet fowl pox a few weeks ago, and one hen came down with an eye infection (she seems to almost recovered). Many of the hens also decided to molt later than normal, impacting egg collection for early spring hatching. And, for an unknown reason, none of the eggs I have managed to collect and set so far are fertile. I've never had this problem before; it is rather disappointing, since I usually hatch chicks by the first week of January to sell and show later. This year, I'll be lucky to hatch eggs by early February.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by