Showing chickens...

portianaomi

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 20, 2009
West Sacramento
So, I am about to purchase a show-quality millie fleur cochin bantam pullet and would like to maybe take her to a show and see how she does. I’ve never shown a chicken, but have shown a sheep and rabbits many years ago in 4-H. Can you win money if you showing chickens, or do you just get the prestige?

my daughters silkie roo won grand champion and best in show in open at our county fair this summer. It was 1.25 to enter the bird. He won $3.00
lol.png
and a ribbon. I don't know if other shows pay out more but don't paln on paying off the farm showing birds. good luck post some pics of the bird.

at the local fair where i live there was about 500 chickens entered, entries cost $1.50 and paid out $5 winner, $3 runner up. i was lucky enough to have a hen and chick entry to take (in sept) which was a special class ($15 prize, took 1st), i paid $18 total for entries and won $45 and a bag of grain ($14 value), i was thrilled!!

so no your not going to get rich showing, depending on the show and your birds breaking even or making a few bucks is about it.

KNOW YOUR BREED STANDARDS!!!!

Otherwise you can and often will get taken for a ride. I hate to say it, but several "breeders" show their birds one time at a local county show and win a blue ribbon. They then believe their birds are show quality without taking the time to fully understand the breed standard and are never entered into another show against a true show quality bird.

I am saying this to warn you, not berate those that do this so please do not consider this an inflammatory post.

If millie fluer and excepted color for the cochin breed? I am not sure but I think it might not be. Expert help this person out.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I was just planning on going to see all of the chickens and have a little fun by trying my hand at showmanship with my chicken nerd pals
big_smile.png

I guess I'd have to enter a millie fleur cochin in the "other" category
smile.png

I’m not a breeder (this will be my 3rd chicken) and really just have chickens as pets ‘cause they are super cool with nutritious benefits.

Quote:
It's fun to win, even if just a ribbon. I'll post pictures when I get her, well, if I can get her. She is from HatTrick Silkies and it looks like their birds go for hundreds of dollars most of the time. I don't want to break the bank buying a pullet! LOL

Back
Top Bottom