showing chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickieBooBoo, Dec 25, 2009.

1. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    hey, I am interested in showing but have no idea where to start. What do you do to get them ready? Do they have to be a specific breed or anything fancy? Sorry bout all the questions [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    First off, you will want some chickens that are Show Quality. (SQ)

You usually don't get SQ chickens from hatcheries... usually they come from breeders.

you'll want to find a reputable breeder who has SQ birds that sells eggs, chicks or started birds.

There are lots of folks on here who show chickens.

I'm hoping to get into it too with my BW Ameraucanas... I'll be watching this thread.

3. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
  4. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    thanks everybody, show quality birds are pure bred right? How do you bath them, I've heard you fill a tub with warm water and fill it so its up to the birds neck, is there any kind of special shampoo that you use?

5. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
  6. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    When youve picked your birds that you are showing you need to start around 6-8 weeks ahead of time and pluck broken and shreaded feathers so it allows enough time to grow back in good condition! about a week to 5 days before the show is when you need to bath them giving them enough time to produce enough oil and distribute it throughout the feathers! harvestbreezefarm.com has a good bathing page to go by! Check it out!

7. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    thanks everybody for the info. what about vaccinations? I heard they needed to be vaccinated against certin things, what are they and how would I go about getting them?

8. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I currently vaccinate for Marek's Disease, which I do recommend. I am contemplating adding in vaccinating for Infectious Laryngotracheitis, ILT too, based on what I've heard from some other folks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by